Specs for Swing keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2010
Seidelmann 30 St. Petersburg, FL
I have a 1977 Seidelman 29.9 that needs a swing keel. The mast goes through the deck into the cabin and rests on a platform built around the the keel compartment. Does anyone have specs for the swing keel? Would it be possible to convert it to a fixed keel? My boat needs to be pulled for a bottom job soon & I would like to address these problems at that time. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

Sep 18, 2009
Tartan 37 Classic 24 St Michaels
Can you post your hull number please? Seidelmann 299 of 70s vintage is a fixed keel in deep and shoal versions. There was a Seidelmann 30 built by Dickerson Boat Works in MD that had a centerboard, built in that time frame, I could help you with the configuration of that system. After I left the company in the mid 80s a 295 was built which may have had a centerboard. Seidlemann 299 mast was deck stepped.
There may have been 1 prototype 299 with a center board. Pictures would help.

Jul 29, 2010
I have the id# DBB002420577. If the hull# is different from that, I'll have to go to the boat. I can take some pictures at that time. It's currently in the water.

Sep 18, 2009
the MIC DBB is DICKERSON BOAT BLDRS TRAPPE LANDING PO BOX 92 TRAPPE MD

You have a Seidelmann 30 built by Dickerson. Dickerson may still have drawings, or even molds for the board, if not I can help you with the board shape. The way this board is installed is unique, the top of the trailing edge rides on a traveler mounted inside the trunk. The leading edge rides on a trailer roller. There are lead castings on both sides of the centerboard trunk under the cabin sole for ballast the board is only lightly ballasted to overcome its buoyancy.

To convert to a fixed keel Take up cabin sole, chainsaw the lead in to pieces you can handle, cutout centerboard trunk, Purchase a lead keel Seidelmann 299 would work well, make an insert to fit the keel, relaminate the bottom and reinforce the laminate to take the additional load of the fin keel, fabricate floor frames, laminate in place, install a new cabin sole and bolt on your new keel. I did this to a Seidelmann 25 but I was much younger then....and I had the factory to play in.

Sep 18, 2009
Oxford Yacht Agency is located at the old Dickerson facility. John Shannahan President. 410-822-8556 he was around in those days and may be able to help. I have seen posts on this site with in the last year or so that mention the old molds are some place in Massachusetts. You might want to attempt to contact that poster also.

Cayennita
Beneteau and J-boat Idylle 15.5 and J-36
St. Croix

Re: Has Seidelmann always been made by Siedelmann?
I bought what was the first Seidelman 30 built. It as a water ballasted centerboard and built by Dickerson brothers in the Chesapeake. It was donated to the naval Academy in 1980 and I bought it in July 1980. Her name was Enchanter and I renamed her Cayenne. Raced out of Marblehead, MA and later Hyannis. Extremely successful. In 1982 we won 38 out of 42 races and was also Gulf of Maine Ocean Racing Champion. In the Chesapeake the design was also known as the Chesapeake 30. The sails were made by Seidelman in 1976 and I raced them until I bought a set of Doyles in 1983.
The boat would do some great death rolls. Sting Ray made center fold in one of the sailing magazines showing death roll sequence with spinnaker and blooper and finally wraping everything up. Tje center board mold is in Topsfield, MA by the way.

ShareThis

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2010
I called the Dickerson # and was told they didn't keep any of the information or molds.
I tried to find the posts about the old molds, but couldn't find them. I'll look some more. Thanks

Sep 18, 2009
Cayennita
Beneteau and J-boat Idylle 15.5 and J-36
St. Croix

Re: Has Seidelmann always been made by Siedelmann?
I bought what was the first Seidelman 30 built. It as a water ballasted centerboard and built by Dickerson brothers in the Chesapeake. It was donated to the naval Academy in 1980 and I bought it in July 1980. Her name was Enchanter and I renamed her Cayenne. Raced out of Marblehead, MA and later Hyannis. Extremely successful. In 1982 we won 38 out of 42 races and was also Gulf of Maine Ocean Racing Champion. In the Chesapeake the design was also known as the Chesapeake 30. The sails were made by Seidelman in 1976 and I raced them until I bought a set of Doyles in 1983.
The boat would do some great death rolls. Sting Ray made center fold in one of the sailing magazines showing death roll sequence with spinnaker and blooper and finally wraping everything up. Tje center board mold is in Topsfield, MA by the way.

Sep 18, 2009
If all else fails with a couple of hours access to the centerboard trunk from underneath I could make you a pattern of the board.

Jul 29, 2010
I sent a private message to Cayennita yesterday to see if he knew how to contact the person or Company who has the mold inTopsfield, MA, but haven't received a reply. I appreciate the offer, but the boat is in the water right now. I am going to have it pulled soon for a bottom job, but you are 4 hours away.

Status
Not open for further replies.