Speakers Mounted Underneath Stern Rail Seats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
I have 11 year old speakers in NAVPOD housings. Believe the speakers are MA-7500. But both are shot so looking to replace.

Can't seem to find NAVPOD housings for MA-7500 speakers. A few places list them as "out of stock" or "discontinued". Thought I found some on Turtle Marine and got an email confirming my order followed a few minutes later by a "sorry but they are discontinued".

So anyone have ideas on speakers that can be mounted to the underside of the stern rail seats and can handle marine environment and weather effects? I already have the wiring in place?

Thanks,
Jim

deke

Jan 5, 2011
catalina 310 charlevoix
Bose markets exterior speakers that are completely waterproof, in fact they advertise them working submerged in a water tank. I bought a pair in a mall that has a Bose store, but you can find them on line. I can't show you a photo as my boat is on the hard in Mi. and I'm in Florida but they are white in color and look good mounted under the stern pulpit seats. They have the good quality sound that is typical for Bose. Deke

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I have 11 year old speakers in NAVPOD housings. Believe the speakers are MA-7500. But both are shot so looking to replace.

Can't seem to find NAVPOD housings for MA-7500 speakers. A few places list them as "out of stock" or "discontinued". Thought I found some on Turtle Marine and got an email confirming my order followed a few minutes later by a "sorry but they are discontinued".

So anyone have ideas on speakers that can be mounted to the underside of the stern rail seats and can handle marine environment and weather effects? I already have the wiring in place?

Thanks,
Jim
I mounted these Jensen box speakers under the seats. We actually had a little bass and they sounded much better. Still far from an audiophile grade system but it worked out just fine..

Image Courtesy Boat Sandiego.com

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Not the best photo, but you can see the knock off version (Cambridge I think) of the Bose outdoor speakers. They work good. Ok sound, a little base but not great. I don't like the way the PO installed the wires, those are on my list to redo.

Attachments

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas

Thanks,
Jim

You mean this.....I can see the speakers dieing but the nav pod enclosures under the cat bird seats ?? Why not just replace the speakers they do not have to be the same brand. Here a hint when I installed mine I notice that there needed to be a way for water to drain if any water got into enclosure. So I just drilled a few weep holes at the bottom. If the black grill and housing is showing some where and tear then thats why GOD made paint.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...?pid=61652&familyName=NavPod+SP100+SpeakerPod

Attachments

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
Forgot to mention. The screws holding the speakers in the pods no longer "unscrew"...can't get the speakers out of the pods.

I just ordered some Polyplanar box speakers from iBoats that should work. They cost $115 for the pair so I thought that wasn't too bad. They are not in the pods. But supposedly they are completely waterproof.

http://www.iboats.com/Poly-Planar-P...quot-2-Way-White-PolyPlanar/dm/view_id.220636

Hopefully they will not be difficult to install, wire or use.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Cheers,
Jim

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
NavPod now makes an underseat housing for the Bose 151 series outdoor speakers, as a replacement for the discontinued older style pod pictured earlier in this thread (which contains PolyPlanar speakers, BTW). You can find them at a number of sites online, though they're pretty pricey and don't come with the even pricier Bose speakers.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Sometimes I wish I were just a sailing enthusiast. I work for an audio manufacturer and my job is to sell gear to OEM boat builders. I guess I need to e-mail Phil Herring to ask what my guidelines are here. On several powerboat forums I know the guidelines, but I don't feel I know them here. I don't want to post much here lest it sound like an unpaid ad, (I have ethics, you know...).

I have some input on the subject, but let me find out what I can and cannot say since I have a horse in the race....

Jun 25, 2012
jsalley said:
NavPod now makes an underseat housing for the Bose 151 series outdoor speakers, as a replacement for the discontinued older style pod pictured earlier in this thread (which contains PolyPlanar speakers, BTW). You can find them at a number of sites online, though they're pretty pricey and don't come with the even pricier Bose speakers.
Something that makes no sense to me is .... Why can you not just buy the enclosure by it's self ???

Mar 20, 2007
Something that makes no sense to me is .... Why can you not just buy the enclosure by it's self ???
You can - in fact, that's the only way it's sold. But it (the current model housing) is designed specifically for the Bose 151 speaker, and won't work with anything else.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
We actually had a little bass and they sounded much better.
Music always sounds better when you're enjoying a little seafood on board. Oh wait, you meant bass. :D Gratuitous rimshot please!!

We've had the WM speakers and they sound fine. Just need a little touch up. They're relatively inexpensive and I won't feel really bad if someone needs them more than we do! The speakers down below are much nicer.

The only thing that bothers me is the visible wires! That's one of those things on my list of things to do!

Attachments

Jun 25, 2012
You can - in fact, that's the only way it's sold. But it (the current model housing) is designed specifically for the Bose 151 speaker, and won't work with anything else.

Oh really where ?? I have never seen the nav pod speaker enclosures sold anywhere separately. The instrument pods yes but no on the speaker enclosures by themselves.:snooty:

Mar 20, 2007
Oh really where ?? I have never seen the nav pod speaker enclosures sold anywhere separately. The instrument pods yes but no on the speaker enclosures by themselves.:snooty:
Google it. You'll find several sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.