Spare halyard installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug Margison

How difficult is it to install an extra halyard for a cruising spinaker on a Hunter 30? Can it be done without dismasting the boat. Our 30 only has the main and jib halyards and we really need an extra one, preferably outside the forestay. Any suggestions from the rigging experts? Thanks, Doug, Mokum II

D

David Foster

My rigger says, "up the mast..."

We will receive a new Doyle asymetrical cruising spinnaker next week for our Hunter 27. The rigger at the loft said installation depends on what hardware is actually available at the masthead. In any case, he will have to get into a bosun's chair, and make the trip to the head of the mast with the appropriate block, and other hardware to get the spinnaker halyard installed. I'm paying to have it done to get his expertise, and avoid the trip myself.

S

Stephen Ostrander

Take a closer look

One of the tricks I've used is to use my binocular to see what's going on up at the masthead in case of a jam or other problem. You might be able to see if there is a spare sheave available for the spinny halyard. Another way to go is to shackle a block to the masthead and let the halyard run externally--not as clean but it will work, and besides, how many times will you actaully use your spinny?

Status
Not open for further replies.