Southern Boating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Dunno, Roger.. Looks more seaworthy than the sailing ship made of pallet parts !
Glad trip is progressing.. winter has settled in upon the bayou.. going to get down to about freezing tonight..

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
I inquired about a hard dodger, however I never figured on such a quick response. Red

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Well, it will a fair amount of stability with a keel sailboat underneath.
At 1000 sq. ft. of space it is about as big as my Manhattan apartment.
The builder seems to know that his creation will not spend much time on the ocean but mainly the ICW and local rivers.
I'm betting that this is not one of Roger's designs!!!

I know that this one is not Roger's either: http://www.floatingneutrinos.com/Other Rafts/TownHall.htm

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Looks more seaworthy than the sailing ship made of pallet parts !
Yeah, 'Raw Faith" pretty much counterbalanced the entire southern boating culture in just one vessel. Still, you don't see nearly as many wacky things like this up north as down here.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I can't believe I just watched a 45 min video about a crazy raft crossing of the North Atlantic Ocean! CRAZY!!!!!
I thought I had seen almost everything.
I was so wrong! There raft looked like a first year art school project I did.

Roger you may be the best to answer this. If it has sails and floats is it a sailboat? What was that?
How much of tax payers $ would it be for a couple of day tow to Newfoundland?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It looks like the tax man also enjoyed the newspaper article. If it would have been reported as a derelict boat, no problem but being built "sounds like a partner with some money"

Jan 18, 2011
Hunter 26 Beaufort SC
We've been on the creek since 1979 and I've only seen one alligator. He was a big one though.

May 7, 2004
Hunter 38 Little River, SC
He would have been more likely to see dolphins teamed up to trap fish against the marsh bank.

Nov 22, 2008
A few gnats but not enough to be bothersome. They didn't seem as aggressive as the ones that chased me out of Saint Mary's last year.

No alligators.

Fewer dolphins than last year and only one has played with the boat.

trasel

Dec 26, 2011
Endeavour 32 Middle River, Md.
Hi Mr. Long
Seems you are the man...I have enjoyed following your posts...sorry to bother you...I am considering buying a negleted 79' 32 Endeavour with leaking headliner/ports also has a rusty but running 2 cyl Yanmar and some cabin top deck crazing...any advice and/ or possible problem areas to look for?

Attachments

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Yeah, 'Raw Faith" pretty much counterbalanced the entire southern boating culture in just one vessel. Still, you don't see nearly as many wacky things like this up north as down here.

Ummm seems Canadians are quite capable: This one's from Toronto. Photo credit goes to Port Credit Marine Survey

Matt

Nov 22, 2008
...any advice and/ or possible problem areas to look for?
Don't let anyone even give you this boat (or any boat) without a survey by an accredited marine surveyor. A free boat can be one of the most expensive things you ever acquired.

These boats have fewer structural problem areas than most of their vintage due to the use of only plywood for core in a few areas such as the cabin top and cockpit floor.

Because of the high shaft angle, re-powering these boats can be more expensive and complex than most. If that engine is as bad inside as it looks outside, you probably couldn't insure the boat for what you would have in it after a new engine installation.

If you can restore this boat, you will love it. In the long run, most restorations will cost you more than if you found a boat in better condition to start with. The difference in cash flow can make a difference but restoring systems is painful. Spend some time in a marine supply store and figure out what it cost just to join two wires or put a terminal on the end or to put a "Tee" into a hose with the six hose clamps required.

trasel

Dec 26, 2011
Thank you for your timely advice. I will try to heed " In the long run, most restorations will cost you more than if you found a boat in better condition to start with", however the less than $12k price is tempting. I must say my simple Cat 27 4 hr sail today on the Ches bay in light air made me glad to have a smaller boat, its just hard to suppress my bluewater dreams especially following your truly inspirational expertise and travel stories.

Nov 22, 2008
the less than $12k price is tempting.
I paid 15K for mine in 2005, before the crash knocked the bottom out of the market, and probably have three times that invested in her now. If I was patient and willing to wait for a buyer, I could probably get 20 for her.

The economics of old boats is dismal and you better go in with your eyes open.

trasel

Dec 26, 2011
Thanks again Mr. Long, I think you made me appreciate what I already own...its just the E32 is the least expensive bluewater boat w shoal draft that I have located so far... I wish I had your mechanical/ engineering abilities...one of my favs is your cabin heater install...awesome!
do you have the original 2Q 18hp Yanmar in yours?..ports leak?..any deck crazing?

Status
Not open for further replies.