Southbound 2 (Not Herb Hilgenberg)

Feb 28, 2013
Pacific Seacraft 40 Belfast
Boats anchored at Cape May get serenaded by the chants of new Coasties marching on the parade grounds of the CG base and by recorded bugle calls. It’s not unpleasant and they pipe down at night.

From Cape May we always head up Delaware Bay to the C&D Canal. The Delaware holds no interest for me and runs in the wrong direction. It might make sense to skip it and continue offshore to Norfolk but the we’d miss the Chesapeake, my former sailing grounds. I’ve never been tempted to bypass its many charms and have always suffered the Delaware. We lucked out this trip riding a flood current all the way up the bay.

Just before the canal is a good anchorage inside the Reedy Island dike. The entrance is a narrow gap in the dike where there is usually a strong cross current. It’s a good test of helmsmanship.

The following day we paid for our good currents luck by having to fight them nearly all day in the canal and Chesapeake. A 15-20 knot NW wind overcame the Chesapeake currents and we made it to Hawk Cove on the western shore while the VHF weather radio was warning us to take our potted plants indoors.

The wind swung to the south overnight so we headed across to the eastern shore and up the Chester River. The Chester is one of the many magnificent and sailor friendly rivers running into the Chesapeake. The things I love most about the Chesapeake are not in the main part that bears the name but off to the side, both sides. While sailing up the Chester we passed some favorite anchorages in small creeks along Grays Inn Creek and Langford Creek. We passed familiar names that were once point-to-point racing destinations, in a former life, at Queenstown and the Corsica River.

The end of the line was Chestertown which I had never before gotten to but am glad we finally did. The docks are full of interesting boats. There’s an excellent natural foods market a few blocks from the free dinghy dock. The library is a good one, as you’d expect in a college town. There are plenty of restaurants that look like they’d be worth visiting. The shady brick sidewalks were full of folks strolling about town.

With wind against current in the Chestertown anchorage we moved two miles down river to spend the night. Along the way we passed a flotilla of tall ships heading up river to Chestertown. Below is a photo for Tom. I’d include photos of Chestertown as well but haven’t learned how to embed photos like Tom does.

We’re now in Annapolis anchored in Ridout (aptly pronounced Ride Out) Creek which would be a fine hurricane hole for three or four boats. I used to keep my boat about a mile from here at Whitehall Yacht Yard. It’s raining steadily with distant thunderstorms. The weather radio was talking about gale force winds. It’s so protected here we have no idea what it’s like outside. We’re staying put anyway.

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 47 NC
It's listed inLNM. What I read says 1 channel open, give 2 hr. notice (252-202-2112). Work boats and divers. Work center fender of bridge. Your posts are almost as good as being there.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
It's listed inLNM. What I read says 1 channel open, give 2 hr. notice (252-202-2112). Work boats and divers. Work center fender of bridge. Your posts are almost as good as being there.
It's a swing bridge, so one span would be impossible. The 2 hour notice is only for commercial traffic, that from a conversation with the bridge op. The 5 thru 17 is only an estimate.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
You're right about the wind. At 10 a.m., Annapolis time, it was 24/28, gusts to 30. ( http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=tplm2 . ) You must be close to Cantlers Restaurant? Great place for crabs and a nice view. I guess that Chestertown was the "down-rigging" festival for the Tall Ship Sultana? I'd like to have been there, but was in St Michaels for the Oyster Festival. Let me know if you need help while you are here. How long you staying?

Feb 28, 2013
Pacific Seacraft 40 Belfast
Thanks for the heads up about the Alligator River. At least a half dozen trips I've worried about whether that bridge would be opening or not. This is the worst yet. Maybe we can get there before the closure but that might mean skipping Elizabeth City. (Dismal Swamp is supposed to reopen tomorrow.)

Or maybe we'll have to go through Manteo. Ugh.

We're still in Annapolis, tied up a J Gordon's so Rick could figure out why our Fischer Panda generator was overheating. It was something simple caused by me when I last changed the impeller. Oops.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Manteo is nice and a stop at Okracoke would be even better!
Official numbers on dredged depths in the dismal are less than 6'. Might want to check with ACE if you are deep draft.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Don't know why I did not get this till Friday/today, 11:00 a.m.. I'm on Back Creek, but don't know J Gordons off hand. Still here, or somewhere south?

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
Don't know why I did not get this till Friday/today, 11:00 a.m.. I'm on Back Creek, but don't know J Gordons off hand. Still here, or somewhere south?
I just looked them up and posted this a few minutes ago...