South Puget Sound Cruise Summary July 2015

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Hello fellow HAPSTERS.

Well, I think the 2015 South Sound Cruise was a smashing success that surpassed all expectations. Twenty four boats, 52 people and a great cruise. It is so gratifying to see so many boaters get along so well in so many circumstances. The Hunter Association of Puget Sound certainly lives up to its moniker of "Nice people with nice boats having a nice time together". Again a huge thanks to our cruise captains Barb and Steve and Kerstin and John. This was the most well planned and organized cruise I have ever seen. It was exciting for Ruth and me as we saw three ports we had not seen before. Penrose State Park, Longbranch Marina, and Swantown. Unfortunately work called Ruth home so we missed Jarrel Cove.

We had several adventures on our journey from our initial rendezvous at Gig Harbor to Penrose State Park, Longbranch Marina, Swantown Marina (Olympia, Wa), Jarrel Cove and north again to Gig Harbor. During a blinding thunderstorm while at anchor at Penrose one dinghy slipped away from its parent boat. Dee Johnson in Lady Kintyre hopped (hardly does justice to the gymnastics required to board his dinghy in the 3-4' steep chop) into his dinghy and rescued the wayward tender. Another boat, anchored too close to the spit found herself somewhat stuck during a minus tide. More dinghies to the rescue. Another dinghy drew ran out of fuel but was rescued by Rick and Ann Giles in Perspective.

While we were at Longbranch Rick Giles gave a great summary of the Specialty Yacht Hunter Rendezvous held in British Columbia June 25-28. He said there were 84 boats, and about five of them were from HAPS. The food was terrific and apparently everybody won something in the raffles. We hope to have more boats attend next year.

Docking at Swantown proved somewhat challenging when a 15 kt crosswind popped up during our mooring efforts. Seven or eight Hapsters teamed up to help a large powerboat moor in those side winds. Nice work.

Another boat suffered performance problems under power. Changing the primary and secondary filters were thought to be the magic bullet but alas no joy. A mechanic was called in Swantown to investigate. Fortunately nothing was wrong with the engine. The culprit was a prop with about a pound of barnacles on it.

The pictures under HAPS on Facebook are terrific and provide great memories.

Remember Langley Marina August 21-23 and Poulsbo September 11-13.

What a great trip.

Nice people with nice boats having a nice time together!!!

Mike and Ruth Murray

Fleet Co-Captains 2015

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Sounds like you had a blast. My Puget Sound boating adventure was a nice ferry ride from Steilacoom to Anderson Island. A blissful 12 knts of pure power boating. LOL

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
As a member of Bremerton Yacht Club I enjoy the use of our outstation at Oro Bay. The Puget Sound waters are among the best cruising grounds on the planet.
And yes, we had a blast.