Sounds of sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

ODO Editorial

Are the sounds of a marina music to your ears or a pain in the neck? What do you do to cure halyard slap, transom slap, and other sometimes unwanted noises... and how do you respond when others are responsible? Tell us your approach to the sounds of sailing, then vote in the weeks Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page.

D

David Dellsperger

Hi and.......

WASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSUP

S

Stu Timm

Unwanted vs. wanted noise

AS far as keeping the halyards from slapping, I lash both ends of the halyard to the starboard gunwhale (either to a stantion or a deck fitting. I do this for two reasons, one to silence the slapping lines, and two, as a ABD or anti-bird device for those $#%@& commerants that like to take up residency on my spreaders. The haylard left a tad slack, blocks the flight path of those oily buggers from landing on my spreaders. Prior to the recent population expolsion in Centerport of these "birds", I simply tied the halyards tight and slightly away from the mast to avoid slapping. I dunno, perhaps the slapping distracts the commerants. You can tell I have a real pet-peave about these "birds". I personally don't mind the occasional sing-song of halyards tapping against aluminum masts. I guess it's a sound that I grew used to over time. I know of many other boaters (power) that despise the sound, and wish us "sailors" would tie our halyards tight. Can't please everyone I reckon, except those miserable commerants!

O

ODO Editorial

Final results

Final results for the Quick Quiz ending 9/25/2000: What is your least favorite sailing sound? 57% Halyard slap 16% Like 'em all 16% Fender creak 07% Transom slap

Status
Not open for further replies.