Soon to be new 146 owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
Yes, I was planning on using the 40mm blocks for the vang. I thought 6mm was the max size line for those blocks though. Thanks for the batten measurements. I was planning on using a fiddle block for the upper block...looks like you used a double block. Any difference between the two? And please tell me about the plastic device that is in lieu of an eye splice or bowline know on the becket...I have been away from sailing for a few years and haven't seen that.
Re the double block, it was just that I found that and the fiddle w/camcleat from the same seller on ebay cheap. A fiddle would do as well (maybe even better as the line would run straighter).

Re the 'plastic device', they're called Splicingnuts. I started using one on my main halyard to stop the bowline from becoming jammed at the top of the mast (a PITA when you want to drop your main fast and it won't come down). Here is the link for the manufacturer but I expect you can get them from online chandlers also:
http://www.splicingnut.com/?page=product_info
I use them on my main sheet block, Vang, and a block setup that I use to easily attach the fore stay (I raise and lower my mast every time I sail). You buy them as per your line diameter.

Re the 'stopper thingos', I use them everywhere. I have also colour coded most of my lines, sheets and even camcleat fairleads as I regularly sail with 'non-sailors'. I found it was much easier and more effective to yell "pull the red rope" than "tighten the port jib sheet"

Also, if you haven't worked it out by now, yes I'm a gaget freak.

Last edited:

2thdr

Jul 15, 2012
Hunter 146 Oklahoma City
RE: the main sheet set up

Could someone post up a pic of their lower fiddle block with the detail of how it attaches to the stand-up swivel? I know I'm missing the clevis pin thru the fitting, but it seems there has got to be an extra shackle or something between the clevis pin and the shackle on the bottom of the Harken fiddle block to accommodate the stand up spring...

I know the post on the fiddle block is 10mm and will fit into the stand up swivel, but I like to use snap shackles on my main sheet to make taking it off quick and easy. Hoping someone else has done this. Thanks.

2thdr

Jul 15, 2012
Hunter 146 Oklahoma City
Feb 26, 2010
Good luck working that out. It is such a fiddlily area to do anything but set and forget IMHO but then I have my boat, covered and locked down in my driveway. But if you are concerned about theft, then I see where you are coming from.
Still don't trade convenience for safety. That link is taking high loads. I'd overkill the robustness of any shackles/hardware you choose to employ.
Do let us know what you come up with.
Cheers!

Last edited:

2thdr

Jul 15, 2012
Hunter 146 Oklahoma City
A winter time post of woe...I went to check on my 146 in dry storage the other day to find that the cockpit now has spontaneously cracked in several places, the worst of which has separated by at least 1/4" and runs from the aft centerboard opening all the way across the transom and onto the swim deck. Other cracks appear in the swim deck and at chainplate attachments. What a poor excuse for a sailing craft this turned out to be. I will be attempting to sell the boat as is to someone who wants to pick one up for a steal as a project. The trailer is of course worth something. I will part out the rest of the standing and running rigging. Live and learn! A $3,000 mistake that I never even put on the water...

Feb 26, 2010
Sorry to hear you have had such a bad experience. If you see a H15 (the fibreglass H146) for sale, they will be a better bet. My is coming up to 3 years old now and not a problem as revealed itself. Those H146 hulls don't seem to do well in cold weather.
Also, There is a guy who posts regularly in the Day Sailor section, Crazy Dave Condon, who was a dealer for Hunter and is full bottle with good advice re repairs. Why don't you send him a message with some photos. It may be easier to fix then you think.
Wish you well!

Status
Not open for further replies.