Some warm Challenger photos.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It's especially cold on the coast of Maine these days.

One of the most beautiful and mysterious areas of coastal Maine is Merchants Row, an area of many beautiful islands and secret watery hideaways. I remember this quiet moment a few years ago as this Pinky Schooner enticed me to follow it. I turned the wheel, fell in behind and we disappeared into the misty islands ahead.

Even October can be warm on the coast of Maine and it comes with the most unusual and beautiful light I've ever seen.

I like the lighter air we see in summer of the coast here, but the Challenger was well designed with plenty of sail area and seems rarely without wind power. My daughter loves to sail.

Of course it isn't always clear and warm. In this foggy shot we were headed to Frenchboro. Without radar, we prefer the quiet of sail in the fog.

Our area of Penobscot Bay has some unique inland sailing. Here we're approaching Stonington on Deer Isle which forms the northern side of the Fox Island Thoroughfare. This thoroughfare gives us some spectacular sailing east-west through the bay. Often winds send us through in everything from light air drifts to rail burying gusts as wind finds it's way through the high islands lining this watery trail out in the bay.

Blue Hill Bay is another favorite of ours off the beaten sailing path that runs east- west from Penobscot Bay to Mt. Dessert Island. We usually only go on the winds invitation and it has often resulted in a spectacular 10 mile reach to the beautiful inner harbor at the base of Blue Hill just off our starboard bow in this photo.

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
re: warm Challenger photos

Roll on summer... Lovely photos; lovely boat.