Some Engine Tweaks

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
While I was working on my engine I made a few tweaks that will make things a little simpler and cleaner.

I replaced three pet cocks like this:

With 1/4 turn ball valves like this:

This valve will make purging air from the fresh water/antifreeze side of the engine MUCH easier and I won't burn my hand or get antifreeze all over my engine anymore in doing so. I added a hose barb and hose so I can stick it in a bottle and carefully crack the valve to remove air. Sure beats those pesky pet cocks..

I also replaced the pet cock on the HX to make draining it for zinc changes clean and easy with NO MORE salt water on my engine! I will be adding a hose and barb to it also.

One more 1/4 turn valve on the sea strainer prevents back siphoning from the height of the siphon break loop when you open the top of the strainer. Again I will be able to clean my strainer without salt water oozing out the top and into my engine compartment because I will drain it first..

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
good changes every one.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
FMEA

Just wondering if you considered failure modes and effects analysis for the changes. What are the risks with the design changes and what mitigation strategies are in place depending on what could go wrong?

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Do you ever actually use this engine? Looks like you could eat off of it....:dance:

Feb 6, 1998
Do you ever actually use this engine? Looks like you could eat off of it....:dance:
She has....

hours of use and has cruised from Labrador to South America. A little TLC, some cleaning, regular maintenance and they can look like this for a long time..;)

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Nice modifications, where did you find those neat petcocks? I have a Westerbeke and I know what you mean about getting sea water or antifreeze all over the engine
also did the petcocks come with red handles or is that your touch

Feb 6, 1998
Nice modifications, where did you find those neat petcocks? I have a Westerbeke and I know what you mean about getting sea water or antifreeze all over the engine
also did the petcocks come with red handles or is that your touch
Those are actually 1/8" by 1/8" male/female 600 PSI WOG or 150 PSI WSP (working steam pressure) forged ball valves. They are often used for air vents on hydronic & steam heating systems so they could easily be changed by closing the valve then unscrewing the air vent and replacing it. The red handles are the way they came from my plumbing wholesaler.