Some before and after painting pics 24 Morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Very nice clean up. She looks really nice. Did you have much gelcoat work prior to painting or was she pretty clean?
Thanks.
The gelcoat was in pretty bad shape with cracks and in some places worn thru. I either sanded out the rough spots or used West epoxy with filler to smooth. I found spots I missed after I primed and others when I painted so I'll be doing some touching up. Just had to get it presentable so that my family would join without paper bags over thier heads!
If I were to do it again I'd spend more time and go section by section and use a good body filler. and prime with a high build primer.
You can see some of the damage to the gelcoat in the pics below.
I would have sold her and got something else rather than do all the work but I really like having a classic plastic boat and love the way she sails. She has the stability of a much larger boat and a draft that works with our skinny waters. And I like the lines of these boats.

Attachments

Dec 17, 2008
Morgan 30 Classic Long Island
Very nice work. I did mine in I think Oyster or cloud white. When I see the dark colors on these boats, it makes me think about sticking to the original color.
Your boats looks great! Enjoy it.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Thanks.
We decided that since it is a cool boat and a classic design that we wanted to make it stand out from the crowd and are happy with the new look.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
What a beautiful job you did! I can't imagine how much work it was, but your results is impressive. Lucky family!

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
What a beautiful job you did! I can't imagine how much work it was, but your results is impressive. Lucky family!
Thanks! Not nearly as much work as some people put in on thier boats and it was fun and rewarding. I was able to get the Mrs and daughter involved and a next door and across the street neighbors are sailors so they kept up on progress.
Now the family will go out on the boat without paper bags on thier heads!

Dec 28, 2011
Morgan 24 Biloxi, MS
Gee, I will be there soon. I do like the pacific blue on mine, and will paint the groove white to accent. My wife has issues with her health so I am not able to spend days away to do this work myself, so will have to pay for labor. I would prefer to do it myself. See you did this a couple years back. We morgan owners love our morgans.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Hi George,
I only painted mine because in some spots the gelcoat was so thin I could see thru it (dark spots) and a PO had smeared some resin and then paint over a spot near the stem with tiny spider cracks in the gelcoat.
If the gelcoat had been serviceable I'd have polished it up and saved the time and $$.

Status
Not open for further replies.