Soliciting 26ft O'Day Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James Brown

Hi, I'm considering an 1985 26ft O'Day. Any words of wisdom or caution. There doesn't appear to be much info available about this boat, nor many boats for sale, all which leaves me with a feeling of buyer's remorse before I have even bought it. Thanks.

J

Jim MacTaggart

Love my O-26

Hi Jim, I own a 1984 O'Day 26. I just bought it in February. It is a great roomy, comfortable, easy handling boat. I don't think you would be sorry for buying one. I recommend having it surveyed. As with any boat, you can always be taken if you don't knkow what you are looking for. Pay close attention to the chainplates and tabernacle as a possible leak area. I did have mine sealed prior to this year's use. I got one with an excellent bottom on it. (No blistering) Other than some minor maintenance items, everything is in great shape for its age. After a good compounding and waxing, it looks like new. If you check the unoffical O'Day web page http://home.att.net/~oday you will find not many were made so not many will be on the market. Also, check out www.boattalk.com and you will find how other owners rated their boats. I checked this out before buying and felt very comfortable in my purchase. Hope you get it and enjoy sailing it. Jim MacTaggart O-26 "Tranquility" Forked River, NJ

B

Ben Allen - O'Day 26

Execllent Purchase

James, The O'Day 26 is an execllent boat. It was only produced for three years and only about 85 were made. Looking at the production run numbers, I can only assume that the 26 was dropped to concentrate on the 280. As was mentioned before, check the chainplate area, also check the turnbuckles. Being the size that they are, they are easy to bend if they get out of line when stepping the mast. One other area that I have found on my boat that will be changed soon is the the ice box draines into the bilge, not overboard. I plan on connecting it to the galley sink drain this fall. The 26 is quick and responsive to the tiller, feels very solid with the stub keel. If the boat that you are looking at get a clean survey, you will be very pleased with it. Ben Allen Montgomery, AL "Wahoo" 1985 O'Day 26

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

I've never heard a bad resonse for an o'day

James, I haven't sailed an O26, but I have never heard of someone not liking the O'day line unless they were hard core racers in the J-boat vein. I would also encourage that survey, however. Once you determine a class of boat for your purchase, the condition of the one you pick is paramount, but difficult to determine for the untrained eye. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

J

jon

o'day 26

If you are looking for a boat that is both fast and handles nice. then the 26 is for you. I've owned mine (1985) for 7 years with no regrets.. Personally I have looked at bigger boats but always come up with the end decision that I do not want to sell mine...

G

Greg Jones

Love my O'Day 26

I trade my O'Day 25 for an '84 O'Day26 this year and really have enjoyed it tremendously. The boat sails to weather very well and will do 5 1/2 - 6 knots with about a 15 knot wind - even with the smallish genoa that mine is fitted with. I alsohave a Yanmar diesel inboard which is a huge improvement over the 25's OB. I've had no problems yet aside from some cracked fiberglass where the tiller fitting is secured to the rudder-it seems the original design of this element could stand some beefing up. Other than that I am very satisfied with my purchase - it seems a lot of boat for the money. Regards, Greg Jones

H

Herb

Good choice

I have had a 1985 26ft for 6 years and it is a fun boat. I keep it on a trailer in the winter and the shallow draft is a nice feature. As others have mentioned, I had a leak around the chainplates and the plywood bulkhead deteriorated so I had to extend the chainplate attachment to find good wood. No other problems. I have the Yanmar diesel and it is a sweet treat. I moved up from a 22 Catalina. Enjoy, Herb <wave@rockisland.com>

Status
Not open for further replies.