Solar panel locations?

Jul 22, 2013
Islander 28 South Shore Yacht Club
Greetings all.

Will be getting a '76 I28 shortly. Since she will live in a mooring (ie no shore power) I want to install a solar charging system to keep the batteries charged up.

Anyone with pics of where and how they've mounted the panels would be welcomed.

Thanks!

cjm1

Jul 10, 2013
custom Herreshoff 33 sloop Lake Charlevoix
Our flush deck 33 sloop has 2 panels one 20 watt permanently affixed to the companion way hatch. The 2nd panel larger about 35 watt, removable with car top carrier suction cups attached to the aluminum frame. We are on a mooring all summer and panel shade from rigging not a problem but we do not high current drain like refrigeration. Some form of battery monitoring is important and rather than the expensive monitors just use a digital volt meter. It works fine just as long as the batteries have had a long rest period when you take your readings.
Greetings all.

Will be getting a '76 I28 shortly. Since she will live in a mooring (ie no shore power) I want to install a solar charging system to keep the batteries charged up.

Anyone with pics of where and how they've mounted the panels would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
Mine are going to mount on the stern, similar to this:

Only difference is in that picture, supports are coming from above, whereas I've got a couple small supports that will angle down to the base of the railings instead. But same general idea.