Solar panel damage?

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
20200917_162155.jpg

My wife would blame leaf miners. What causes this and should i be concerned?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Snail trails. You're probably OK.

Since 2012 a phenomenon has been observed across many Solar plants, of small dark brownish lines or partial discoloration being caused on PV modules. These were termed “snail trails” and research started on its occurrence and the impact it can have on power generation.

After studying patterns across many plants, it was broadly concluded that mere existence of snail trails by itself does not affect power generation. However, snail trails seen where micro cracks run across cells may affect power generation. Even this must be assessed to be sure.

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Have you checked the panel with a multimeter to see if it matches the output panel listed on the back? You'd be looking for the Open Circuit Voltage (VOC) number and the Operating Current (IMP) number. For volts and amps respectively.
Clean it, place it in full sun, set Multimeter to Volts and touch red to red lead and black to black lead. Should be equal at least if it's still producing what it's rated for. Or within .5
Switch the red lead to DC port, set meter to Amps and do the same.
If your readings are matching it's still producing what it's rated for. You at least need to know these numbers first.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Snail trails. You're probably OK.

Since 2012 a phenomenon has been observed across many Solar plants, of small dark brownish lines or partial discoloration being caused on PV modules. These were termed “snail trails” and research started on its occurrence and the impact it can have on power generation.

After studying patterns across many plants, it was broadly concluded that mere existence of snail trails by itself does not affect power generation. However, snail trails seen where micro cracks run across cells may affect power generation. Even this must be assessed to be sure.

Good link! I saw those on some panels about 6 years ago (panels were about 3 years when they first appeared). There did not seem to be any effect at 9 years total. Glass panels.

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
Panel seems to produce same as it always had, it's about 10+ years old. I was troubleshooting charging issues which turned out to be a bad connection, when I saw those lines. I'll keep it in service for now. Thanks!