Solar arch installation pictures on 315

VFR750

Oct 18, 2021
Catalina 22 Sport Noank
I am going to add a solar arch on my 315; specifically looking at the Atlantic Tower brand

Can someone post some pictures of how your arch is mounted?

where exactly did you put the four pads?

Atlantic says to use the standard model, but the taper of the transom, as it slopes down would suggest the style with a wider front and the ~10” narrower rear.

hence, I’m looking for pictures of the mount pads, before I commit to a big spend.

Any other solar arch brands available in the northeastern part of the US? I’ve searched, but nothing jumps out. Maybe a smaller shop? Custom?

VFR750

Oct 18, 2021
Catalina 22 Sport Noank
I spoke to Shelley at Atlantic Towers, and they have not shipped a set for the 315. So if I do it, I’ll be the first.

It looks like I need the style that has the wider front and the narrower rear arch. Placement of the feet on the deck/hull/transom will be challenging because the aft push-pit seats overhang the transom.

I’ll document what I figure out.

Shelley offered a 15% discount too.

VFR750

Oct 18, 2021
Catalina 22 Sport Noank
I am not putting an Atlantic Tower arch on my 315.

The problem: the seats overhang the cockpit and transom. Which interferes with the placement of the front leg. The front leg must go on the hull, like this, or very far aft/down the sloped transom. Here is a hull mount picture from Atlantic Tower's website:
ma10800new.jpg

The next problem: the starboard cabin bulkhead is very far aft, which limits how far forward the leg can go. Combined with the steep slope of the transom, the best I could do was to mockup the attachment point with a 4” disk, shown in the picture. The front leg is constructed 35 degrees to the vertical (55 degrees to the horizontal)
mount point.jpg

Which leads to the next two problems. First, the curvature of the transom means the rear leg span is more than 24" narrower than the front leg span. Second: the rear leg ends up pretty far down the transom

Atlanitc Towers said they could custom build a tower with 24" difference between the front and rear legs, vs. the standard offset of 12" (TIB1015/025SPO1 - TIB24600). So this problem could be solved.:)

But ultimately, I didn't like the overall placement of the rear leg being so close to the water line. In this picture I slid the forward leg mount point aft, to attempt to clear the seats. And the rear mount point is pretty far down. Even moving the mount point to the hull, did not improve this, because the internal bulkhead limited how far forward/up the front mount could go. It's a wash. :(
rear points.jpg

We are going to hold off until the summer before we decide what to do.

If anyone has some suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

Last edited:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Not sure if this will help you, but you could fabricate something like the davits I installed on my C310, that are secured to the stern rail. Maybe extend the frame higher and put on a platform for the radar. I added small stanchions for support, and used starboard pads under the feet.DSCN1238.JPGIMG_0200.JPG

john2

Nov 26, 2022
Catalina 310 58 Leimuiden
this would be the last place on earth i would think of.... what ever you chose, put it on the rear of the boat.
John

Attachments

VFR750

Oct 18, 2021
Catalina 22 Sport Noank
this would be the last place on earth i would think of.... what ever you chose, put it on the rear of the boat.
John
There are quite a few instances of this location. Not uncommon on catamarans too.
But I don’t disagree, I don’t like the moment it puts into the hull with the offset.

Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 310 Oriental, NC
Not sure if this will help you, but you could fabricate something like the davits I installed on my C310, that are secured to the stern rail. Maybe extend the frame higher and put on a platform for the radar. I added small stanchions for support, and used starboard pads under the feet.View attachment 221868View attachment 221869
Tom have you notice any differences in the boats handling with the davits and solar panel compared to without the davits.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Tom have you notice any differences in the boats handling with the davits and solar panel compared to without the davits.
Yes, but I don't race, so the overall performance was acceptable for me. The main issue is fore/aft balance. I had put some old anchor chain in the anchor locker as ballast, and I kept all my heavy spare parts under the forward bunk. The dingy I used was a Walker Bay 8, so very light. I mainly lived aboard and cruised, so the hull normally sat low in the water at all times with the added weight of stuff, and the windage of the davits and dingy wasn't really detrimental. In addition, the solar panels tilt forward and aft, so they would be in a horizontal position when sailing or motoring, thus limiting windage.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 310 Oriental, NC
Yes, but I don't race, so the overall performance was acceptable for me. The main issue is fore/aft balance. I had put some old anchor chain in the anchor locker as ballast, and I kept all my heavy spare parts under the forward bunk. The dingy I used was a Walker Bay 8, so very light. I mainly lived aboard and cruised, so the hull normally sat low in the water at all times with the added weight of stuff, and the windage of the davits and dingy wasn't really detrimental. In addition, the solar panels tilt forward and aft, so they would be in a horizontal position when sailing or motoring, thus limiting windage.
Thanks Tom