So what was the 280?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Ben McAndrew

Hi. In response to the posts about the 302 being the 28 with a platform slapped on the back, I have another question: What the heck was the 280 derived from? was it just an old 28 hull that was given a new hull liner like the 302 and then just kind of "Squared off" on decks, with an outboard rudder stuck on the back to cheapen things up a bit? People on this website don't seem to know the difference between the 28 and 280 either. There is a picture of the original 28 on the 280 forum, where you can find out quite a bit about the 28! But nowhere in the 280 forum does it represent the 280 in any way. If you want to learn about the 28 in the 28 forum, you're right out of luck!! Why? Becaust there isn't much there! So where can you learn about the 280? Don't hold your breath trying it's own forum. I KNOW the 280 couldn't have been a 272 that they decided to call a 28-footer. SOME dimensions are similar. Like-I beleive- the width of the side decks and the shape of the cockpit and transom. The transom on the 28 was much fatter-looking than the slender 280. Don't get me wrong- I owned a 28 for 12 years and loved every minute of it. But I hope someone out there can pleast tell me the deal here with both the origins of the boats and what is up with the mixed up forums. Thanks a bunch!!!! -Ben

B

Ben McAndrew

Forums

OK, wait, nevermind! It looks like they have fixed the forums since the last time I looked! :) - Ben

J

Jim Sullivan

Oday280

Ben: I will try to give you accurate and complete information about the 280. After the purchase of the Oday and Cal names and molds in '86 the Pearson group was desperate for something "new" for marketing. The designs were old as were the molds etc. Bill shaw, an excellent designer in his own right observed that the "new" reverse transom stern with a swim platforn was hot in the marketplace. The 28 and 30 foot Odays were suitable for adaptation of that feature. The 272 however did not lend itself to much external design adaptation but with slight mods the Pearson 27 hull liner was fitted and made it look like a different design. So the Oday 280 was born of this. I have Oday 280 hull number 33 a 1990 year model, and my own evaluation can be found in this forum. I will submit pictures very soon now. The hull, keel, rudder, rigging et. al. is exactly like the Oday 272. The title is Pearson the model is Oday 280. I hope this helps clarify the muddy water somewhat. Good luck and good sailing. Jim Why Knot!

Status
Not open for further replies.