So, me and my buddy were on the boat

TimCup

Jan 30, 2008
Catalina 22 St. Pete
last night, enjoying the 65 degree evening, and we started talking about our recent visit to the boat show last weekend. It was a big show, as they actually combined TWO boat shows into one- The St. Pete Boat Show, and Strictly Sail Boat Show.

I swear, I'm beginning to think "boat show pricing" isn't an advertisement, it's a WARNING! I was amazed at the number of products that were 'on sale' at the same price you can get every day. Many were even higher. I'm sure there were some deals to be had, but I musta missed them... I miss the old days when they'd bring their old stock and just blow it out.

I did see a boat that caught my attention- a 27 foot Hunter with water ballast and mast dropping system, perfect for towing. When I looked at the interior, it was absolutely plain. I was turned off by it for a few minutes, but then it began to grow on me- the cabin was wide open above table height. No shelves, no wood, just room. Kinda like new houses where the kitchen, living room and den are all open. Interesting use of space. Wouldn't want to take a long trip, but really perfect for a few days. Pretty cool..

cup

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Thank You

I guess I saved some money after all by not wasting the trip for no real deals,
I have the newer boat but always could use some more boat stuff.
I keep getting E-Mails inviting me with free tickets for boat shows and how the prices are lower than ever.
I have a 2007 36 and why do they think I am ready to get a new bigger boat,
I don't care how good a deal it is,it would cost so much more for lawyer fees.
But my wife said sure I can get a new bigger boat any time with the new wife.
Nick:confused:

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I haven't been to a boat show since I neared completion on Bietzpadlin in 1999. We always went on trade day and we did buy our port windows and forehatch at the show one year. Some builder had gone belly up and Lewmar ended up with previously sold inventory. As I recall we got a pretty good deal on them but I can't recall the numbers.
I think that a boat the was clean above the table top would look like a blank slate to me and I would just have to add storage shelves and cubbies and a whole bunch of handholds.
Do you recall what the asking price was for the Hunter 27? and what did she carry for equipment?

TimCup

Jan 30, 2008
Catalina 22 St. Pete
Ross, it was interesting-

it has a big outboard, cruises at about 20mph, like the macs, i think. I'm telling ya, it was weird, but interesting. Price was 47,000. Of course, for that money, I could buy alot more, but I like fixing things. For someone not handy, it was kind of a do-it-all boat...

cup

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
WOW!!! I have about 35-40,000 in my boat with a diesel engine and all of the other work . Of course it has a top speed with a good wind of about 6.5 kts. and not that much with the Swedish jib.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
I think you're talking about the Hunter 27E, or the Hunter Edge. :)

it has a big outboard, cruises at about 20mph, like the macs, i think. I'm telling ya, it was weird, but interesting. Price was 47,000. Of course, for that money, I could buy alot more, but I like fixing things. For someone not handy, it was kind of a do-it-all boat...

cup

TimCup

Jan 30, 2008
Catalina 22 St. Pete
yeah, Dog, that's it-

the one at the show had the hardware mounted on the pullpit and pushpit to stow the mast, but otherwise, just like your pic. Is it just me, or it strange to see a sailboat making such a big wake?!?

cup

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
I wonder if this was moved as a commentary on the boat or on the thread.

TimCup

Jan 30, 2008
Catalina 22 St. Pete
Ross, I'm a little dumfounded, and I guess I'll hear-

from one of our moderators, but I've been looking for this thread off and on for a couple of days! I always want to answer anyone that makes a comment on a thread I start (kinda rude not to, I think), but I can't really understand why it was moved.

It was about boats (the Hunter 27), the boat show, sitting on the BOAT enjoying the beautiful Florida evening, nothing political or off-topic....

I know being sent to the sails call lounge isn't punishment, but I feel banished for some infringement. Where'd I go wrong?:confused:

cup

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Cup, I kinda sorta get the feeling that subjectivity rather than objectivity is the reason for some of these changes.

Jan 11, 2007
Columbia 28 Sarasota
Tim,

I wish I would have bumped into you at the show. What about the boat did you like? I am just curious, I went on it twice, and just don't get it.

Obviously there's a market for that type of boat, look at all the MacGregors.

Ross in Tampa

TimCup

Jan 30, 2008
Catalina 22 St. Pete
Ross in Tampa-

Wish I'd known you were there- would have sprung for one of those $5 beers!

As far as what intrigued me about the boat, you know, I'm not even sure I have an answer. When I first went into the cabin, my first thought was ugh. Then I thought about how houses are now being built with no walls between kitchens and living rooms and great rooms, and I started wondering if this would be next big change in salons.

Although the system for raising and lowering the mast isn't the slickest I've seen, it was do-able, and makes for easy towing (a have a trailor for my little sailboat, but keep it at the marina because it's a pain to launch and pull). I was also intrigued with being able to cruise at 20+ knots- I live on Tampa Bay, and it's 3-4 hours to get to the pinellas beaches, 20 minutes with my Sea Ray.... while it isn't a boat I'd spend a week on, I could actual replace the Oday22 AND the Sea Ray with that boat.

You're right about comparing it to the Macs- not only the same idea, even the same wrap-around tinted windshield- I don't think that's coincidence.

I'm telling you, while the sailor in me says it's not a "real" sailboat, just talking about it gets me a little juiced. Every boat is a trade-off on something. For people like us, that don't spent much time camping on a boat (to me, roughing it is a hotel where room service closes at midnight!), We wouldn't be giving up much to get such a versatile craft. And assuming it a great sailer, well, we 're not racing it anyway, so what's the rush?

If only the interior weren't so ugly....

cup