So i think i bought the wrong alternator

S34

Jan 3, 2016
Self built Stewart 34 Auckland
Ahoy Pateco. How did your install go.?
Your images above have broken links, what the problem there?
I have just bought a 120A 10si style, yanmar foot config, for a replacement for a hitachi 55A as it
only puts out 35A for about 5mins an then ramps down to <10A.
I am somewhat skeptical (at $75) that it will deliver anything like 60% of rated without overheating
and ramping down. But being on a tight budget (and a cheapskate) I bought it anyway. If it doesn't perform it will go back.
I may try putting a front plate on the fan to improve cooling efficiency.
I was wondering if it is the same style you purchased?

Attachments

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Ahoy Pateco. How did your install go.?
Your images above have broken links, what the problem there?
I have just bought a 120A 10si style, yanmar foot config, for a replacement for a hitachi 55A as it
only puts out 35A for about 5mins an then ramps down to <10A.
I am somewhat skeptical (at $75) that it will deliver anything like 60% of rated without overheating
and ramping down. But being on a tight budget (and a cheapskate) I bought it anyway. If it doesn't perform it will go back.
I may try putting a front plate on the fan to improve cooling efficiency.
I was wondering if it is the same style you purchased?
S34, I still have not installed it. It is on my list. Found that my main issue wasn't with my old alternator, but with the unkown age battery bank. They would test ok, but actual capacity was terrible. Upgrade to two new batteries last month and it has made a worl of difference. Now I am waiting for my ACR to arrive, and looking at new shore power chargers since my old Charger is only 5 amps.

2016-04-26 19.40.21.jpg

PS The bad links are due to images linked to Facebook. I don't do that anymore. I will try to update.

S34

Jan 3, 2016
Self built Stewart 34 Auckland
Sounds familar. I launched last december and still haven't dealt with the list of to do's.

Oh, no worries regarding links and I'm a social media phobe anyway.
My other half put me on facebook 4yrs ago & I have never been there.
I Just delete the messages from FB every day. Thats invasion enough for me. I should deregister.
What with, a cell a landline, an answer machine, email, regular mail; how many ways can one waste time?
I guess I'm just a grumpy old b*gg*r.

I have been trawling the net to see if another 3gm30 owner has installed the same alt.
No luck- hence my interest.

I'm definitely not shelling out a boat buck for a "marine alt" when there are way more cost effective solutions out there.
Hitachi is sad excuse for a d/cycle charger seeing as I have 462Ahr fla's. I have 250 watts of solar yet to be installed and in the interim need an alternator that will have a decent show of getting my batteries back to near full charge. I'm on a mooring so mains are out.
Short list: 10si 120A- purchased- yet to install or send back if cooling proves inadequate. Bolt on. ?A @2200rpm/3900alt
12si 94A- fits the profile, but requires me to fab a bracket. 85A@2200rpm 3900alt 25°C Hot =?
21/22Si 100A- close fit but may clash with hardware.definitely have to fab clearing bracket.
Good charge profile.Like the 130A as starts at higher rpm but could result in belt wear.
The delco's/clones, have a variety of regulators with different set points and dealers tend to be somewhat vague.
Delemma, but shortly I will know. Trial and error!

Umm, BTW a cost effective adjustable 3 stage regulator ZM4- http://www.smartregulator.co.nz/ $110us+ freight!
I will get one of these as soon as I sort an alt. Comes very well recommended.
BTW2: I just put in my batteries with three switch system (MaineS/StuJackson #1 system) and ACR & very pleased. Showed up the Hitachi real fast.
Roly

https://boatfolly.shutterfly.com/pictures

12si.JPG

22si100A.JPG

View attachment 124112