SO... I just came back from the Boat Show (Dallas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2004
Catalina 310 Virginia Beach, VA
Not a huge event like other cities, and mainly the dark side (Power Boats), but I have to say after I came home-went down to the marina and looked hard at my 310 and said--"There is not another model out there that I would trade her in for". My dealer (Inland Sailing) had a 309 at the show along with a 250 and 22-at their dock they had a 470, 440, 320, and 387. I thought from the brochures the 440 would blow me away, and it was a great boat-not want I need (at least at this time). The 309 is something else-looks like the interior of the 30 with the hull of the 310. It does not have all the standard features the 310 came with (When the 310 was still in production) but I can understand the strategy since the Hunters looked and felt a little cheap to me. On the Hunters you had to upgrade to a bigger engine, the winches were smaller, the vinyl glued to the wall in the forward stateroom had wrinkles in it from the fiberglass beneith. Oh and no innerspring mattress. None on the boats-even the larger ones like the Benetaeu 46 had a cockpit like our 310. WE are lucky aren't we? I hope we can hold the association together and make it even stronger, even though we have somewhere around 400 boats produced (By my calculations). Fairwinds all 310 owners!

Mar 18, 2006
Catalina 25 Standard/Fin Keel Grand Lake, OK
We went to ours yesterday.....

We went to the boat show yesterday (in Tulsa) and like you said about Dallas, it was mostly powerboats. The only sailboats were from Hunter. A 27, 31, 33 or was it 34, and a 38. I know what you mean about the quality though. We are looking to move up from our C25 and there wasn't one I looked at that we couldn't do without. That said, I do like the Hunter 27 layout, but the C-270 is pretty much the same. So all things being equal, the C-270 is our choice. It's just the Admiral and me now, so all I want is: Headroom, non-V berth sleeping berth, well appointed galley, and a separate head. The Hunter 27, and C-270 provide all of those. And since we have the Catalina 25 and really like it, it will probably be the Catalina. However, one thing I know for sure after seeing the costs. It will not be brand new. One a few years old with add-ons, and a more reasonable price will be the deciding factor. BTW: Saw a 56' Carver that sold for 1.2 million dollars. Sorry you power folks, but I don't mind if fuel is $5.00 per gallon on the lake.

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Boats

I bought my C320 from Inland...they sure carry lots of big Catalinas. We went to the Tulsa boat show on Friday. The dealer with all the Hunters is also the Catalina dealer...I asked the guy that was on the 38'er why no Catalinas...he did not know. If you want another Catalina, check his web site or go see him. BTW, they had a 33'er and 38'er at the show.

R

Ray

Still love my 310

I agree with all the comments. At the Baltimore show we went on a 387 and a 420 and except for a little extra room to swing your elbows nothing really new and different; although there was a bit more luxury. Did not go on the Hunters - just didn't see the point. If I could change anything, I would like to see Catalina use the same guy who does the Island Packet interiors as that was a cut above. But for the money Catalina rocks. I have never regretted getting my 310 and the 309 is really a 310 hull with a new/old interior layout that just does not excite me. The only reason they did it was to compete with Hunter at the low end for a 30/31 footer.

Jeff75

Dec 9, 2007
Catalina 310 Niagara on the Lake
310 Still the best

We went to the Toronto Boat Show a few weeks ago and there was a good choice of sailboats, by most manufacturers. We still liked the Catalina as one of the best quality boats there. Room wise, our 310 had it beat, by far over the 309 and even the 320 seemed to not feel as comfortable as the 310. I think we'll keep her.

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Headroom

The 320 and 310 are both great boats. I opted for the 320 because it has more headroom, I could not stand up straight in the 310.

Status
Not open for further replies.