Snark Sunflower Sailboat

Jul 10, 2019
Snark 226-61193 Montpelier VT
I have a Snark Sunflower Sailboat, and I am not sure how much it is worth. If someone could give me some insight on it that would be great. It is in good working condition with all original parts except the mast. The sail works and is in good condition, but should be replaced soon.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
A sailboat without a mast is (as they say) like a fish without a bicycle. Not worth very much.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Its not worth worth much. Maybe nothing. You can make a DIY mast and buy a sail for around $100.

I Have one that was given to me missing the mast and a very tired mains sail and lines. It cost me $200 all up to make it good enough so my 6 year could use it with his friends on the lake at the campground. I think I spent $50 on gorilla glue, LOL.

It sails like a dog, but it’s a fun toy. It’s so light weight that it’s perfect for little kids. I gave it to my son at age 5 or 6. It kept him amused for hours a day for two or three summers!

I’m looking for the somebody with kids who would like to own it . I’ll give it away for free.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Were those styrofoam boats, painted bright yellow? I think I saw them also offered as a branded premium by Kool cigarettes. I think the “Super” designation means it is much faster than the regular Snark. ;)
What do you want to know about it? My friend had one when we were 7 or 8. It was fun on a calm day in the Atlantic.

dadof9

Jun 20, 2020
Snark Sunflower All lakes in southwest Ohio
I am a new member of the forum and can't figure out how to post this separately, but for those who are familiar with the Snark Sunflower, can you tell me the appropriate line size for the halyard line? I'm guessing 5/16? Is the control line the same size? Thanks in advance!!!

Dadof9

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I learned to sail in a Super Snark, and IIRC the halyard went over the top of the mast, held in place by a groove in the plastic mast cover. You would want to size the line so it fit in that groove. Too tight, and you cant raise the main easily. A little too loose wouldn't necessarily be a problem if tension was maintained.