Snap shackle swivel for jib halyard?

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
I just fished my new Dyneema jib halyard through the mast head sheaves and all went well.However the new halyard has a stainless steel swivelling snap shackle.
See
Snapshackle.jpgI'm slightly concerned that the snap shackle might unexpectedly pop open when the sail is up, making a mast climb necessary.Is there any advantage to keeping it? I could just saw it off and pass the permanent large shackle fixed to the plastic "swivel" on the foil through the soft eye at the end of the halyard.. The large shackle can be removed with an Allen key.Suggestions much appreciated as always..John V1447 Breakaway

Feb 12, 2008
I'm too cheap to cut off an expensive swivel shackle, so I would leave it on.I've got one old snap swivel on our spinnaker halyard that has come open a couple of times. Oddly enough, it only happens when a certain crew member uses it. When that person is crewing, I now have them wrap a bit of white electrical tape around it. Haven't had problems since, although it could be just the act of wrapping tape on it makes them actually look at the shackle to make sure it is fully latched. We also try to never flog sails, which would be the only other thing that might cause them to open. A zip/cable tie might be a more permanent solution. Tim

Sep 13, 2002
My preference is to tie the halyard to the head of sail using a bowline, so in your case I'd chop the eye and not destroy the shackle. Another option is to tie a cord between the halyard and the sail in case the shackle opens, a bit like a trailer's breakaway cable, but you run the risk of the cord chafing.It looks as though you won't be able to hoist the sail as high on the foil, is that an issue?

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
Thanks Alasdair. I like the idea of a Breakaway cable... Mutters about boat name. :)I'll use that idea.No problem with tensioning the sail.Thanks to all who replied.John V1447 Breakaway........ :)Get
TypeApp for Android