small cracks on deck of a C22

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter

I own a 77 C22. I find small (3"--5") hairline cracks in various places around the deck and cockpit. Looks like a previous owner used a paste filler (could this be a GelCoat paste?) to cover a few. How serious a problem is this? What are some recommeded solutions? DETCO offers a deck sealer paint. Has anyone applied this? Results? Thanks for any help!

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Not a problem

Don't worry. These are normal for that era boat. I have a '73 C27 & had this crazing all over the place. Basically what happens is the gelcoat gets old & "dead" & some sort of pressure is placed in that particular spot causing the gelcoat to craze. If they are true hairline cracks, water should not be able to penetrate it to the fiberglass. They are purely cosmetic. Now if you don't like the look of them, you can fix them but I wouldn't recommend it. The reason being, I just did it a year ago on my boat & it was a pain in the a**! You have to use a Dremel to grind out every last line, fill them w/epoxy or polyester putty (you can use polyester above the waterline w/no problem), sand them fair & paint the boat. NOT WORTH IT! I mean, I love how pretty my boat is & she IS gorgeous & new looking but the work...UGH! And I was also able to do it very cheaply, even getting the product at Port Supply pricing. Paying a yard to do it would cost far more than the boat is even worth! And don't even think of painting over them cuz they'll just pop right back again in a few weeks. Your best bet? Go sailing & ignore them. Think of them as boat wrinkles. You could perform "plastic surgery" to remove them but is it really worth it? Probably not! :) LaDonna

T

Ted

Cracks in the Deck. . .

could be 'delamination' of the deck. (a common problem with C22's). The way to test for this condition is to lightly tap in the areas on and around the cracks. A hollow sound indicates delamination. This can be cured by drilling a couple of holes in the effected areas and injecting epoxy (like "Git-Rot" epoxy). The two holes are necessary - one to inject and the other to allow air to escape. If the hollow condition is not indicated, then it is normal 'checking' of the gelcoat. A cosmetic issue, not structural. Regards, Ted

C

Carlos

She's right

LaDonna is right! But cracks around the deck and cockpit means stress, mainly because this is an old boat and the compresion that the mast do over it. Do your homework and try with a rubber mallet around the cracks. If it sounds solid is ok if not check for leaks and inject a little epoxy on the area. I have a '74 and have done this around the stays and pulpit base.

M

Mark H

I need to know the same thing

I need to know the same thing! I am about to buy a 1986 Cat 22 with many hairline cracks. Please let me know if you find anything out.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Mark H, check out the responses below

This, and the others' posts, should calm your fears a little or at least educate you on how to find out if they're more than just cosmetic. LaDonna

C

cat. sail 6310

OLD MAM OF THE SEA

GOT MY C22 LAST MO. (A76) AND FROM THE BOW TO THE STERN SHE HAS THESE LINES .THREE + OWNERS AND SHE STILL A FLOT . SOME OLD TIMERS HAVE SAID SHE WAS PROB. SAILED IN SOME PRITTY STRONG WINDS AND THESE ARE JUST STRESS CRACKS , AND JUST WATCH OUT IF ON GETS DEEP OR STARTS TO SPREAD (LIKE A WINDSHIELD). SO FOR NOW I'LL JUST KEEP MS. MAGOO AS IS, AND YOU CAN GIVE HER A FASE LIFT OR JUST ENJOY HER LIKE A FINE OLD WINE IN A DUSTY(CRACKED) BOTTLE. 6310

Status
Not open for further replies.