Small brass screw

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Did an airplane happen to fly overhead? :yikes:

Seems like an odd material for mast-mounted stuff. Do you have a windex or other items mounted on the top of the mast?

Greg

Aug 9, 2024
Hunter 15 Walloon Lake
Lol ✈.... nothing on top of the mast. I truly am scratching my head as to where it came from.
Apart from de-masting the boat and looking up high there isn't another screw remotely similar on the boat.
And, unless there are another half dozen or more holding something in place I can't see where it has the strength to secure anything important as a stand alone screw.
To test that I just sent my 22 yr old out in 12 - 15 kt. winds on our lake.
Thanks for the reply Greg.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Are you certain that it appeared on your deck during a sail? Could it have been there since you were on a dock?
I'm with @Tally Ho , it is an odd material for boat stuff. Has anyone been working on your boat and dropped this screw?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You may be confused, because those pictures seem to show that screw on the floor of your house, not on the deck of your boat.

Keep lookin'...:)

• Ha
Aug 9, 2024
Hunter 15 Walloon Lake
Are you certain that it appeared on your deck during a sail? Could it have been there since you were on a dock?
I'm with @Tally Ho , it is an odd material for boat stuff. Has anyone been working on your boat and dropped this screw?
My son was coming back in from a sail and said it "fell" on the deck next to him.
I asked if maybe he had had it in a pocket.
"Nope"....
I'll take a real close look at everything when I de-rig for winter.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
If that brass screw is actually bronze then it could have come from the sail head reinforcing plate.

The good news is you can check that easily when the sail is down.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I'll take a real close look at everything when I de-rig for winter.
I might be worthwhile to take a look at everything before you again go out sailing. It is a machine screw thread not a wood screw thread. Likely to a part or connecting a part to something.