Small Boat to teach Grandchild

Sep 29, 2007
-Gemini 3400 #379 -Gemini Palm Beach, Florida
Hi, I'm interesed in purchasing a small boat - around the size of a Dolphin Senior - to teach my grandchild to sail. Open to suggestiions or offers for a boat you have outgrown.

I want to start with something simple - single sail, dagger board - that would hold an adult and child.

I don't need a trailer - but price is the only reason not to get one.

I'm very handy, experienced (retired ASA instructor), so condition need only be reflected by the price.

Stu@shearwater-sailing.com

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
O'Day Day Sailer perhaps. A bit bigger (18') than the Dolphin, has a cutty cabin and big cockpit, trailer required. Probably can find one relatively inexpensive I would think.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
You might want to consider a cat. Something like a Hobie 16. By the time your grandchild is ready to buy his/her own boat, I'd guess that foiling multihulls will be all the rage, so he/she would be a leg up on others who learned to sail on monohulls. :)

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'd go smaller. Maybe a 420 or 470. The reason I say this is because capsizing drills will teach them to not fear the water. Common sense will of course kick in if a storm is rolling in, they encounter big waves or gusts

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
There are so many good choices.... I would not get too hung up on a specific brand but ...

Since you have sailing experience.... I'd suggest you nose around the following places

1) Facebook Market Place
2) Offer Up
3) SBO
4) Craigslist
5) sailboatlistings.com

And try to find something that is still in decent shape, sails are not too blown out, has room for at least two people, decent/simple sail controls and the price is right.

The market is always flooded in September (maybe not as much in Florida so widen your search a bit north.)