Slow Leak

Dec 1, 2023
Hunter 27' Cape Coral
Hello all. I recently purchased a 2005 Hunter 27. It seems to have developed a slow leak from a small drain to the stern of the compartment where the engine intake, head intake and galley drain valves are. I have checked all the online manuals, but find no mention of this drain. The engine compartment above this drain seems completely dry. Does anyone know where this water could be coming from? I know the water heater is also above this drain, so wondering if that could be it.
Photo is attached.
Many thanks in advance.
Keith

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
There are so many possibilities. Is the boat in the water now? Is the air warmer than the water? If so it could be condensation. You could also be coming from the deck after a rain. If your boat is in salty water have you dip your finger in it and touch your tongue to see if the water is salty? If you suspect it is coming from a holding tank like your water heater or your freshwater tank, you could put a die in the tank… maybe food coloring.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It is called a Limber Hole and its purpose to drain bilge compartments into a central place for the bilge pump to remove. There is often a gap between the hull and the interior pan, that hole is drain those areas. They would probably not be mentioned in the manual.

The leak could be any where. First, try to determine under which conditions it leaks, fair weather, wet weather, sailing, etc. Also inspect all the water connections to hot water tanks, storage tanks, faucets.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Check any bilge areas that are accesable without cutting any thing and do the talcum powder test. Any trace of water could be from leaks due to rain, or condensation. Or through hull fittings,
Or hoses, or portlights, or leaks from a sink.
You get the idea.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2012
Hunter 27 Penetang ON
Hello all. I recently purchased a 2005 Hunter 27. It seems to have developed a slow leak from a small drain to the stern of the compartment where the engine intake, head intake and galley drain valves are. I have checked all the online manuals, but find no mention of this drain. The engine compartment above this drain seems completely dry. Does anyone know where this water could be coming from? I know the water heater is also above this drain, so wondering if that could be it.
Photo is attached.
Many thanks in advance.
Keith
Your photo of the H27 thru hulls is a mirror image of mine on my H27 (2007). I don't have a water heater. Have you looked at the stuffing box (also referred to as a stern gland, packing box or shaft seal) that surrounds your prop shaft aft of the shaft coupling? There should be a few or so drops per minute of water coming out from the bronze packing nut when the shaft is rotating, That's normal and the accumulating water while the shaft is turning will dribble into the cavity where the thru hulls are located. That's my guess. If you notice drops still accumulating with the engine off or while the shaft is stationary, then you ought to tighten the packing nut (but not too tight) or replace the existing packing (it's a lubricated wadding you can get at your local chandlery in various sizes). On You tube there are many demos, some better than others, on how to repack.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Under boat information there is a 27 and 27X. I believe it is the same bull but with a deep draft keel for the X version As a hunter dealer, I use to introduce every model 30 feet and down. I read all of the posts and was about to respond when I read
@Bruce Conron comments about the packing gland which makes sense. Follow his advice first. Keep us posted @Keith-T

Dave Condon