Slot less screws on toe-rail and genoa track.

Jul 7, 2009
Beneteau First 405 Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Can any one explain to me the need to use a slot less screw to attach the toe rail, stanchion bases and genoa track. What is the advantage in using this type of screw other than to p#ss off the next repair person. The toe rail ones have a knurled nut inside the boat that can only be grabbed with a pair of vice grips since they are round and it makes the screw turn with out any way to stop it from turning.
The ones holding the track are also 6mm but have a #10mm nut with the tiniest washer I have ever seen. Half of them spun out as we tried to unscrew the nut from below. Had to cut off many of them with a grinder. Will replace them with flat phillips heads. They are recessed in the track and don't interfere with the car.
Also I must question the use of slotted screws all over the cabinetery instead of phillips screws. it is agravating to take the boat apart. I know they have had cross screws for over 60 years. We called them vis parker in france.
Thanks
José4FE82D69-5F50-4B9E-B5B3-A30424C48A48.jpeg2E9A7214-3EB9-480D-9AAF-F7800BFFD977.jpeg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
To your first question, no! I could imagine some answer like it's to keep water from accumulating on the screw head therefore making core penetration less likely. But that's what sealant is for. I've had screws with slots or Phillips holding down hardware on all of my boats and have seen such on countless other boats. In fact, I've never seen a flat screw head as your picture shows. So ......

May 9, 2020
Hunter Legend 37 Harrison Twp, MI
For such a comprehensive repair, I'd recommend taking the time/effort/money to visit a Fastenal (or similar bolt place) and get the exact length SS screws, with a torx flat-head. If not torx, then allen head.

I like my knuckles and sanity, I always try to use Torx or Allen heads. For me, it's worth carrying the extra tools on-board. That's my 2-cents.

And use anti-gawling on the SS fasteners!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
  1. Can any one explain to me the need to use a slot less screw to attach the toe rail....
  2. the use of slotted screws all over the cabinetery instead of phillips screws.
The boat is 34 years old. 35 years ago, I would conjecture about the rail, that an engineer imagined that the slot-less fastener would more securely hold the rail in place like a tensioned rivet. The caulk/adhesive would prevent leaks. The cost savings in man power and material would be an advantage.

34 years ago slotted screws were the norm for woodworking. All your slotted screw drivers were proper width and shape. No one used cheap screwdrivers that do not fit the slot. For craftsmen it is standard practice. Nowadays, the venerable slotted screwdriver is a thing of past generations. The metal used for screws and the design/manufacture of the screw are producing lower quality screws. The change to different head designs has permitted savings in the screw and yet still provide a fastening capability.

• Helpful
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Pictures are a little hard to tell but is it possible that those are actually "carriage bolts" that have a square profile just under the head? It kind of looks like that but its really hard to tell from the pictures. Carriage bolts make sense for that application if, as you describe, the nuts are inside the boat and the heads are outside the bolt. I can't imagine how they would install them in that case unless they are carriage bolts or use two people (one inside and one outside) which would be difficult and a waste of labor. Production boats generally use techniques that are less labor intensive, sometimes at the expense of us boat owners later for repair/replacement.

If they are carriage bolts then you shouldn't need a slot in the head. Is it possible that corrosion on the bolts or the square hole where the bolts insert rounded out? Just conjecture of course. Can you post a better picture of the boat, preferably showing the area just under the heat?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
It’s kind of hard to hold a screwdriver on the deck screw when you’re inside the cabin tightening the nut after the deck is lowered onto the hull.

slotted screws would be superfluous

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Have the same fasteners on our '91 35s5... I think they are meant to be carriage bolts, so shouldn't spin, but maybe too small a 'grip' after all this time.
And all of you praising the phillips screws, agree they are better than slotted but nothing as good as the Canadian Robertson square drive!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I've used Allen head machine screws several times. @jssailem, good explanation on the slotted head screws. My very first boat was an early 70's 17' Newport. I was cussing every time I had to remove one of those 40 yr old screws.