Sloppy Tiller - Rudder Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2009
2 26 New London
Boat came out of the water for the winter and I figured that I'd get to work fixing the sloppy tiller. Pulled the rudder out and found it was water-logged. So, the rudder was drilled full of holes along all of the crack lines. Dried out and then faired and glassed back over. When this repair work is done the rudder bearings will be built back up using epoxie with graphite filler as per the West System "Fiberglass Boat Repair Manual." I am putting photos here as this job progresses for anyone who is interested.

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii258/greasy_snipe/Ranger 26/Rudder Job/

B Good

Dec 18, 2008
Ranger 33 San Diego, Shelter Island
Do you think this job can be done with the boat in the water? My boat was hauled out and I went over all the surface blemishes before I did the bottom paint. The tiller is in excellent shape but I have play in the tiller. I'd like to pull the tiller and do the fix but I'm worried about the rudder dropping. What do you think?
Steve Stephens

Sep 21, 2007
- - Newport OR
Pull that one bolt out and it will drop like a rock. Well, a big long flappy rock.

Oct 7, 2008
Ranger 26 Mandeville, LA
i loved this article. maybe if you don't like your wife you can have her hole the rope when you pull the bolts...or tie it to the winch no pund intended ..ha. get it on land and dig a hole..

Status
Not open for further replies.