sling advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco

Sep 5, 2013
Ranger 20 Anacortes
what are the best places to attach straps on top of a Ranger 20 for lifting with a hoist by 'picking' rather than sling?
if thats not possible, any advice please on sling material types, lengths, etc?

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Factory used to routinely pick them up with an overhead lift. They used four strong hooks thru the slotted toe rails, two per side. This was on fully-finished hulls, but before the rig was on, obviously.

Is your model the newer one with slotted alum. toe rails or the earliest series with teak?

Loren

Last edited:

Coco

Sep 5, 2013
Ranger 20 Anacortes
thanks Loren!
its an old one 1976, wooden rails.. so they are strong enough to carry the weight of the boat?
make a rig with 4 arms coming from a central hook, and distribute 2 on each side along the rails... sounds easy enough, making sure I get the centre of gravity right

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
thanks Loren!
its an old one 1976, wooden rails.. so they are strong enough to carry the weight of the boat?
make a rig with 4 arms coming from a central hook, and distribute 2 on each side along the rails... sounds easy enough, making sure I get the centre of gravity right
No way would I put that strain on a wood toe rail! I would put a strap around the hull, fore n aft.
We bought our R-20 new in March of '76 (#182). It had the stock slotted alum.toe rails.

I wonder what the sail # is on yours?

L

Coco

Sep 5, 2013
Ranger 20 Anacortes
well I was wrong! its 1980/1 model and aluminium rails. I will find out the sail #, this is all new to me (obviously!)

Status
Not open for further replies.