Slab reefing

May 21, 2014
Hunter H44 Toronto
I find it difficult to effectively reef and flatten the main with the line from the cringle on the leech running aft to the back of the boom. I’m thinking of installing cheek blocks on the boom to pull vertically from the crinkle then aft to the rear of the boom. Any ideas?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The problem with pulling straight down is that it will be hard to pull the new clew back enough to flatten the sail horizontally.

The reef line shouldn’t really run straight from the back of the boom just to the cringle. It should run from the back of the boom through the cringle to a tang on the boom about directly under where the cringle will be when reefed. This way when you pull on the reef line you get 2:1 purchase, and you’re pulling the sail both down and back.

Two other points - take the luff down to the reef point before the leech. Also use the topping lift to hold the boom up while feeding, then release it again after the Sail has been brought down to the boom.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The reefed sail will always be a compromise over the unreefed sail. Fortunately the reason you reef is the wind is blowing stronger so a "perfect" sail shape has less importance.

My system uses a reef line secured to the boom with a bowlin, up to the cringle, back down to a cheek block on the end of the boom, and then through the boom to boom cleat near the mast. The line pulls down and back. The weight of the boom aids in providing adequate tension. The end boomed Main sheet also helps.

When the wind blows enough for me to throw in a reef, the power in the sail after setting the reef is more than I need to drive the boat.

May 21, 2014
Hunter H44 Toronto
I’m the same but the cringle doesn’t drop to the boom as the tension on the line angles to the rear of the boom and the sail can’t be flattened

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
We are talking about the 356? On mine both reef lines come out a pair of blocks that was part of the end plate of the boom. My boat was a roller reefing main, which in retrospect should have switched to slab reefing. Anyway, if you just tie the reef line from the boom end plate block to the leech reefing cringle it will pull the leech back but not down enough. You need the reeve the reef line through the cringle and then either tie it to the boom, or run it to an eye, directly below the cringle. That way when you tighten the reef line the sail will be pulled down and back. Getting the sail flat may be more important than getting the cringle to the boom. A well tied main reed is a beautiful thing. It reduces sail area, flattens the sail and lowers the center of effort for the sail plan. It may not be correct to say it reduces power since in higher wind the power is as much as a full sail in lighter air.

Oct 22, 2014

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I find it difficult to effectively reef and flatten the main with the line from the cringle on the leech running aft to the back of the boom. I’m thinking of installing cheek blocks on the boom to pull vertically from the crinkle then aft to the rear of the boom. Any ideas?
The reef line should not be anchored to the cringle. It should be anchored to the boom, then run vertically to the cringle, then diagonally back to the boom end block. jssalem's illustration show's correct rigging.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Just assisted a friend with this project on Saturday. Luckily his boom has cheeking blocks on slide tracks on the butt end of the boom. In conjunction with the conversion we removed a cleat from the stbd side of the boom at the gooseneck and drilled and tapped to the port side butt end. This allowed the topping left control line to be accessed from the cockpit and not the gooseneck. At the point where the cleat WAS is now a taped in place cheeking block that turns the reefing line up to the luff cringle where it passed thru and descends to a mast base block that feeds to a deck organizer before heading aft to the cockpit. Halyard and reef line are reference marked with a sharpie. This makes the process very quick. Slab reef is at the higher reef point and can be done single handed in about a MINUTE ! The cost was 70' of reefing line...

Last edited:
May 21, 2014
Hunter H44 Toronto
The reef line should not be anchored to the cringle. It should be anchored to the boom, then run vertically to the cringle, then diagonally back to the boom end block. jssalem's illustration show's correct rigging.
[/Q

May 21, 2014
Hunter H44 Toronto
Yes that’s the way it is. What I’m thinking is to put a cheek block on the boom so the line runs from the toe off on the boom, up this the cringle, from the cringle vertically down to th boom to a cheek block then back to the internal block at the boom end where it goes forward to the mast.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Pic of end result of hardened reef line.
Is that what it looks like reefed? That’s definitely not close to how it should look. But the way the reefing line is run should be able to get you in better shape than that. When you reef, be sure to:
-pull the luff down first
-have the mainsheet slack
-use the topping lift to pull the boom up, rather than trying to pull both the weight of the boom and the sail with the reef line

Also, have you checked that the reefing line runs smoothly and all sheeves are in good working order? Friction in them would make it harder to get enough force on the cringle.

Do you have a picture of the whole foot of the sail when it’s reefed?

Oct 22, 2014
finitely not close to how it should look. But the way the reefing line is run should be able to get you in better shape than that. When you reef, be sure to:
-pull the luff down first
-have the mainsheet slack
-use the topping lift to pull the boom up, rather than trying to pull both the weight of the boom and the sail with the reef line
@wyctoronto David has repeated the steps.
Your boom needs to move upwards to meet your sail reef. Also how is the stretch in the reef line. My reef lines are low stretch, like my halyards. Once tight they do not move. You will take all that slack out of the reef line and the new clew will sit on the boom or nearly so when you slacken the topping lift after the reef line is tied off.