Size of the boat for single-handed sailing in open

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jerry

Well, I want to get my own sailboat, but somehow getting lost in what I need and would love to get an advice. 30' is definitely too small, not because of the amount of space first of all, but because it's very sensitive, I mean a foot high waves here on Lake Michigan can make you seasick in couple of hours. My long-term plans are open ocean, trips to Europe and such, but it looks like most likely I'll be out there alone. Is it reasonable to handle something like 36' single-handed? As you can guess I've never been on 36' boat, is it much more stable? Thanks in advance, Jerry.

D

Dave McCarthy

Single Handed Sailing

Jerry, Check out the Single Handed Sailing Society Web site; - http://www.sfbaysss.org/ And the recent Single Handed Trans-Pac site - http://www.sfbaysss.org/transpac00/index.html There were entries from 24' to 52' ..... all were basically production boats. Fair Winds !!

R

Ron

SH a 37

I have a H37cutter and single hand it with no problems. Size doesn't really matter, more important is how the boat is set up. I made an extension for my auto helm control which allows me to steer from any place on deck or below. When we first got this boat it seemed so large. Now it looks small to us. My advise to you is what I tell everyone; buy the biggest boat you can afford and have fun. In my opinion bigger really is better. Ron

R

Ron

PS

The increase in stabiliy is unbelievable. Remember, Bigger is Better... Ron

J

Jim Logan

Single hand 33

I single hand sail a 33' 1980 hunter most of the time. It is set up with roller jib and roller furling mainsail, with all lines led to cockpit. It is much easier to singlehand than my old 23 ft. O'Day, since you don't have to leave the cockpit to do anything - setup of controls makes the difference - except when docking - bigger is harder to dock, especially in crosswind or current - need to give some thought to dropping anchor and docking with larger boats because of the forces involved and potential for castrophe with larger boats.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
32 (if a solid boat) to 38 ,or so, is no problem,

It does have everything to do, however, with, first, the BOAT, second, the setup as mentioned in the previous replies, and third, by your finacial situation. I single-handed a Pacific Seacraft 37' cutter a while back with no problem, just that I could never afford to buy one!

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

Are you new to sailing?

A couple of questions: Are you new to sailing or just big boats? How long before you're planning on cruising those oceans? Do you expect *this* boat to be the boat you take off in? If you're new to sailing and just really in love with the romantic notion of "taking off," a Catalina 31+ would be fine. Your learning curve will be extremely high but you'll get there, especially if you don't have a budget. Get the roller furling everything & be off. BUT, more than likely, you'll spend a few years playing around on this first big boat and learn a LOT of things that you don't like about it. Which means by the time you're able to finally "take off," you'll want different boat. My suggestion would be to buy something used that's a touch on the smaller side (32ish range) and sail the hel* out of it. Then when you're ready, you'll *know* what you want and won't be out a huge chunk of change from devaluation. Have fun! LaDonna

G

Gary Jensen

single handeling

I now own a 380 after owning a 27 for twelve years and a 36 for six years. When it comes to single handeling you must consider where you want to sail and how the boat is set up.Hull speed would be important and I would opt for length (like a 42). Single handeling a 42 in "open, blue water" is not a problem. Bringing it into a crowded anchorage, or docking in strong wind could be. I have a furling main and jib.They are great for what you are asking. I definitely would have auto pilot and monitor for making a passage and would definitely consider a detachable cutter rig set up, with a club jib. This would only be a start as many other factors must be factored in eg: navigation, trouble shooting and a good mechanical aptitude, etc.etc.....good luck

D

Dick McKee

Experience is the key

Jerry...How long have you been sailing?? Your experience, in my opinion, is the most critical item. I handle a 43 Legend with no problem, but I know my own limitations and don't sail into bad situtaions, and she is set up correctly. Best of Luck Dick McKee S/V Constellation

M

Mike

Try It

Jerry, Where r u on lake Mich?? I single hand my C-38 all the time, over 1100nm this year so far. If u want to take a ride so u can checkit out for yourself. It is setup for doing the Chi to Mac solo last June and I'm doing the Lower Mich solo on 9-15-00. I'm in Nevada until Fri but I'll be available after that.. mosilver@netnitco.net Mike WD9EOU C-38 #169

Status
Not open for further replies.