Size of Outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Rose

To any Mac owner, dealer, or otherwise knowledgable ol' salt: Am on the verge of purchase of a MAc 26--and considering the power. I have seen that a Honda 50 is the recommended engine...but wonder what other possibilities might be suggested...and whether a bit more power would be wise or inadvisable. Also: I know NOTHING about engine...and have always included on my boats an aux. 9 hp. Is all this too much weight for the transom? Would appreciate replies to: rhythm-king@worldnet.att.net thanks

B

Bill

Engine Choice

Without any question, if you buy a 26X you really have to get a 50HP. If you choice less, you really should choice another sailboat (I own one). The 50 HP Honda is a fine quite motor that will move you along at 18-19 mph WOT with gear and passengers aboard. Mercury makes a 60HP version of their Bigfoot that is also quite popular. It is essential a higher tuned version of their 50HP and thus does not weigh anymore. Check out www.macgregor26x.com for other options. People have placed up to 115 HP motors and even one with twin 50s. The only caveat is that the factory only warrants the hull to 50 HP or less. If that is not a problem wih you than the 60 Bigfoot may be a nice option without going too big.

K

Kim

Hull Speed

I think most boats are designed for a certain hull speed. To try and exceed that is a waste of time and money. I'm happy with the Honda 50 on the 26X.

J

J JONES

motor choices

I have owned a 26X since Nov 95 and put a 40 hp Tohatsu on it back then. Occasionally I wanted a bigger engine but with the reports of others with 50s getting 17 to 18 mph when I get 16 mph and better fuel economy besides I don't know if the extra expense would be worth it. If I had to replace it I would probably go with a 50 hp in four stroke.(I have dreamed about putting twin 40s back therebut it is primarily a sail boat so that would be silly).

K

Ken Walls

Motor size comments

Depends what is important to you. I have a 2001 26 with 2001 new 50 HP Nissan 2 stroke, which I got for a steal of a price near end of season. I'm at about 3500' elevation, so lose 12-14% power versus sea level. My 50 HP stoke has more punch than my bud who spent extra for the Honda BUT, the Honda is much quieter, especially at low speed, which is home many use their boat. Where I sail, I tend to power out, shut off, sail and then quick power back in but IF I trolled at lot etc, would go 4 stroke, and then if I wanted to tow toys, would suggest a 70 HP 4 stroke OR look at the new Nissan clean burn technology, which is clean and supposedly as fuel efficient as a 4 stroke. Regards and good luck

R

Ron Hore

Motor Size vs Water size

I put a 40 hp Yamaha 2 stroke on my 26X back in 1997 fot two reasons (a) I sail out of a harbour full of keelboats (the only Macgregor) and was embarassed to put anything larger on and (b) I sail on a large and usually rough lake. Was tired of leaning way over the styern of my previous boat to raise themotor when sailing. The Yamaha was the smallest I could find with electric start and tilt. Usually just use going in and out of the harbour but gives good service on those days when I have to do 8 hours into 3 to 5 ft waves. I don't water ski. Gets good mileage when putting along with the keelboat fleet on long trips, gives enough power to plane and dump balast if you are in a hurry on a calm day. I would go more by the size of thewater you plan to sail on and how much you plan to power vs sail. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.