Sitting Here in Limbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
It’s strange how things work out sometimes. Trapped here with a flat tire at the crossroads of life and bored out of my mind, I’m just three boat lengths from one of my most important contributions to the world.

http://www.umces.edu/research-discovery/rv-rachel-carson

The R/V Rachel Carson is, depending on whether you measure by length or displacement, the world’s smallest or second smallest dynamic positioning vessel. I don’t really care which because I designed the other one as well.

UMCES does a lot of work in which they deploy and recover gear that is sitting on or fixed to the bottom. They therefore get a lot of use out of the dynamic positioning which maintains boat position and heading by a sophisticated autopilot, even if it means the boat has to move sideways or in any other direction.

They have discovered that it doesn’t work as well to drive the boat to the desired position as it does to stop a boat length or two away and put the final location into the computer. The vessel then slowly moves to and stops at the exact spot and stays there, usually within an accuracy of three feet or less. While the boat is moving the final distance, the computer is learning and calculating the wind and current forces so it settles down in position even faster than if stopped on the desired spot.

They also do a lot of coring. Core samples are often ruined by the boat drifting and putting an angle on the wire. The failure rate used to be about 20% and they now often do up to 20 cores without needing to discard even one. In fact, they have learned that they have to move the boat slightly when doing more than one core in the same spot because there is such a high probability of dropping the core into the original hole.

So why am I bored? This would be a great vacation if I had come from somewhere else but I have been hanging out in the boat’s cabin since July and there are only so many places I can walk around this small town. My back is getting better but leaning over and twisting is what aggravates it so I am frustrated at not being able to start stripping down the engine and removing equipment that impedes its removal. This would considerably reduce the labor costs so it is especially galling.

Doing financial figuring about the 4 to 5 figure outlay that lies just ahead of me has been sobering. I have a very modest income that will last as long as I can keep air going in and out. I’d stopped the payments because of the big chunk of money I got at the time I sold my business but I’ve got to restart them to get Strider going again.

I thought at the outset of this adventure that the annuity would be enough to live on the boat. I was right about that, if I live like this:

I just can’t afford to actually go anywhere or do anything when I get there. I run just about everything through my credit card now and the payments each month since leaving Portland have been larger than the annuity payments will be once I’ve restarted them. Fuel, ice, and other boat costs mean I can’t afford to drive the boat down the ICW and back each year. Outside isn’t an option at my age. I’ve lost my enthusiasm for that level of adventure and anxiety. It also wouldn’t be responsible singlehanded, at least according to my view of nautical matters, and I’ve accepted that no one is going to go cruising with me for more than an occasional week.

Keeping the boat on the hard for the winter is nearly as expensive as moving it south so that doesn’t solve anything except letting me be in the south for the winter. That’s appealing but appealing doesn’t mean much if you can’t afford it. I know absolutely for sure that I don’t want to be south of New Jersey in the summer. I just don’t like heat.

I’m going to do whatever it takes to make Strider whole again, even if it means a new engine. I’ve put too much into her and she has given me too much to just leave her in the corner of a boatyard and walk away. After that, it will be a question of whether I can justify the cost of maintaining her for daysails and short cruises around Maine and Canada. I’m just not going to cruise alone anymore except for an occasional few days to get away. Barbara is good for a week to ten days a couple times a year at best. I don’t think I’m going to replace her and I’m not sure that amount of boat usage justifies the cost of ownership at my income level.

It’s been a wonderful and amazing trip and will be for a while longer. It’s the best thing I’ve ever done for myself and self discovery is an important part of any such voyage. The most significant thing I’ve learned is that I don’t like being alone as much as I thought I did. I don’t know what comes next but, whatever it is, I know it and I will be better for having made this voyage.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Hang in there Roger.
It is always darkest before the dawn.
Things can only get better from here, right?

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Why not try a trial separation? Call around and find a small yard that will haul and store until September (it's still a recession in the boat yard business. Might get $500-$750 for cash up front). The engine ain't going to get worse for six months of sitting.

Then go back to Maine. Fix your back and spirits. I was at the Maine Boatbuilders Show yesterday. Cold, gray drizzle - perfect Maine spring weather :) . Perhaps Strider will be calling to you by September. It's hard to think of anything (or anyone) that isn't tiresome after six months without a break.

Carl

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
It’s been a wonderful and amazing trip and will be for a while longer. It’s the best thing I’ve ever done for myself and self discovery is an important part of any such voyage. The most significant thing I’ve learned is that I don’t like being alone as much as I thought I did. I don’t know what comes next but, whatever it is, I know it and I will be better for having made this voyage.

You are clearly still young enough to learn. Be grateful for Barbara and Maine waiting at the end of your voyage.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Why not try a trial separation?
You've got it backwards. I love this life more than I ever thought I would. Most people wear out on it from the small spaces, the lugging of supplies, etc. I thrive on it and could do this forever.

Being alone is an issue separate from cruising and one which many people ashore struggle with. It just spoils it for me after a few weeks. It's also somewhat related to the financial issue since someone of equal means to myself and I could make it work.

If I switched to a diet of just a bag of rice and a bag of beans on board (like one long distance cruiser I know), gave up email and the Internet, and never did anything on shore, I could probably get by until the next engine or medical problem. There are many people who do cruise this way but I don't love it quite enough to be one of them.

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
Life is what we make of it, and there are no perfect answers - suspect you'll find one that works. Hope we'll see you on the water somewhere, sometime :)

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Limbo? Are you dancing?

Roger,

Consider the following you have, show the owner of your picture in South Carolina.

Trade a picture of him working with his name and location for a big discount on fixing the engine.

Start a collection? Tell people of your snail mail address and ask them send a dollar. Count the dollars in front of the boss of boat yard.

Land locked? Go for a long walk. Take a drink[water] and camera.

Is there anybody at marina familiar with this forum? Get Capt Herring some more hits.

Bye the way, which state are you in? Name of marina? Have a float in and mob marina. Put some spring into spring.

Tell him your friends are coming:

Attachments

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Keep the faith, Roger. Rest and get well. The right boatyard could be very helpful at pulling and repairing the engine. Hopefully you can get headed north again and settled back at home. Good luck!

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Question not spoken too ...

The question presented is did you go over and

ask permission to pet the vessel? Did you

inform crew of your presence? Inquiring minds

want to know ...

I’m just three boat lengths from one of my most important contributions to the world.

http://www.umces.edu/research-discovery/rv-rachel-carson

The R/V Rachel Carson is, depending on whether you measure by length or displacement, the world’s smallest or second smallest dynamic positioning vessel. I don’t really care which because I designed the other one as well.

Attachments

Jun 15, 2009
Vancouver 32 Portland/Falmouth
Roger not sure if Duck Creek Small Boat Marina is still going in New Bern but if it is check it out. It is a long drive back and forth to Maine but was very reasonible and great people.

I too have had health events last year twice while on the boat alone. Fortunately my back has not been a problem since my daughter and I were stuck on a Cay in the Bahamas in 1991. But these new geeser issues are no fun either. I hope to go back and forth at least one more time but toy with using other boats here in Maine and maybe getting my boat down to the warm and not doing the long trip to many more times. I really hope we can connect when you get back but I hope you still get to spend some time in Cheseapeake area. It is one of my big regrets that I am either heading to the warm or anxious to be back in Maine by the time I pass there.

At any rate I too have to rethink my cruising options. Arggh

Best of luck with back and moving thru the mire. Steve

Jun 15, 2009
Vancouver 32 Portland/Falmouth
oops had not read your log for a few weeks so missed where you were. At Maine Boat show I went aboard a trawler type for the first time.. Well if Merle can have "tug boat"....

In 1991 I had an experienced cruiser help me take my cabinetry apart and pull my Atomic 4 find a machine shop to make a part and we put it back together after replacing the exhaust system etc. It as others have indicated was terrifying to me but with the guidance and moral support of another it went ok with minimal drama. Not looking forward to doing it to my Yanmar but at least access would be better to move it out.

Good luck. Like you I am facing a matter of how much to sink into an enterprise that my body, and somewhat my head, is also less willing to do than twenty years ago.

BobT

Sep 29, 2008
Gulfstar 37 North East River, Chesapeake Bay
Or Repose?

Hello Roger, I've followed this voyage all winter with vicarious interest. Thanks for the great writing and insights along the way.
The philosophical turn of late begs the question of your situation: are you in Limbo or Repose?
Could it be the lack of mobility options that makes it feel like captivity?
Given the pace and futility of my struggle for economic stability, a week of putzing on the boat sounds great! Even with my currently cranky spine and gimped knee. The uncertainty of the repair cost is a PITA, but I've read these Yanmars were designed to be repaired in a rice paddy, by farmers, as water pump engines, so here's hoping it's not terminal.
And here you are on the Chesapeake at the very start of spring. Normally our best season until the swelter & crowds arrive sometime in June.
I watch the water temp rising daily and count the weeks (1 and 6/7ths) until the yard turns on the water. Then perhaps I can trace my air leak in the fuel line of my old Yanmar, wax her and splash.
It does sound as though you could use a break from talking to yourself though. Can your Sweetie make it down for a week or two of cruising the Chesapeake? I bet that's all it would take to recenter your comfort zone. I'd hate to miss an opportunity like yours! It will be chilly and rainy at times in April. May is the Best! Please don't rush home and feel defeated. Wait it out and soak up the green Spring glory.

As always, Advice is the cheapest thing out there...
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.