Sink Pump ????

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
HI All:

Summer is really struggling. I have a weird problem with my sink pump. When you turn on the water faucet the pump starts. Then when you turn off the water, about 10 seconds later it starts up and continues to do this off and on :confused:. Anyone have a solution to this or knows what the problem could be?

Cheers
2 OLD PIRATES

CraigS

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 310 Fort Walton Beach, FL
That usually indicates a leak somewhere. Does the bilge get water? I found mine to be a faulty pressure relief on the hot water tank. Only cycled when the water was hot and pump switch was on.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I got a similar result one year when I forgot to close the pressure relief valve on the hot water heater after recommissioning.

I would also add to check the filter on the fresh water line. It's located under the galley sink. And the screens on the faucets. These can build up sediment during the flushing to get the antifreeze out of the system.

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
Agree with JK - take a look at the filter. Easy to clean out the screen.

May 2, 2012
Thank you gentlemen. Checked the pump filter under the sink AOK. The screens on the faucets just did one, better check the other. The hot water tank will do this weekend. Yes the bilge does have water in it and pumps out at least was a day. I check the stuffing box and that is OK also. Much appreciate your feedback.

Cheers:yeah:

2 OLD PIRATES

Oct 31, 2005
Catalina C310 Dana Point, CA
You might also check the on-deck shower valves and hose-to-shower head (located under the helm seat). If any of the valves are not closing completely it could cause the symptoms you describe. I would also suggest running all valves to flush any air from the system.
Good Luck and let us know what you find!
Gary

May 2, 2012
LOL ............... after all the searching around the boat it was the shower in the cockpit. I forgot to shut the hot and cold water handles. I put this in my winter and spring commissioning so this doesn't happen again.

Cheer Guys !!!! Hope your having a great summer. Lots of great wind up here in Lake Ontario, but lots of nasty storms
also.

2 Old Pirates

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
LOL ............... after all the searching around the boat it was the shower in the cockpit. I forgot to shut the hot and cold water handles. I put this in my winter and spring commissioning so this doesn't happen again. Cheer Guys !!!! Hope your having a great summer. Lots of great wind up here in Lake Ontario, but lots of nasty storms also. 2 Old Pirates
Hey old pirates; where on Lake Ontario? OYS, 16 Mile Creek. Oakville Harbour here. It has been a PITA summer weather wise
Peter

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Since the original thread is about done, guess it's OK to jump in. I'm on Lake Ontario as well, out of Niagara-on-the-Lake. I saw '2 Old Pirates' on the weekend, in their slip at QCYC Toronto. Always nice to talk to other 310 owners. We crossed yesterday ahead of the storm, saw the girl that was swimming the lake (52km!) We've been to OYS, you guys have a nice club. This is our 3rd year with the 310 (hull 160), it is perfect for our life style...it's interesting that the 310 seems to get compliments from almost everyone that comes aboard, they seem to get a puzzled look, trying to figure out how so much can be on a 31' boat. Next time I'm around OYS I will look you up.

Cheers

May 2, 2012
Hi DaveJ it was a pleasure meeting you and your wife. Sandy and I will be over next summer if they have the exchange and if not on our own. We intend to do some coastal cruising so we must put Oakville on our list of destinations also.

Cheers:dance:
2 OLD PIRATES