Singlehanding a Capri

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
One last thing I'd recommend (that I don't have on my Capri 25 and I wish I did) is leave your swim ladder bungeed lightly (such that pulling on it from the water will release it). You can "test" that with an accidental swim when the water's warm! I think I'm going to lash my ladder to my stern rail on this boat though (since I don't have that nice swim ladder like the Capri 22), because that's a safety feature I duly miss on this boat, that I think I might be able to clip my temp swim ladder on in a pinch to get on my boat, but might not otherwise be able to get aboard alone.

Also, when it makes sense, I'm a firm believer in "the franklin fix," where you release a few Franklins ($100s) and buy a tiller pilot. The TP is truly a great thing when you single hand (I balked at the $400 cost for a new one as well for a long time, until I bought one, now I won't be without one). I like to set the motor at 1/4 throttle, and point the boat towards home (when it's time)... and go forward and stow sails... the boat is mostly buttoned up by the time I get back! I use it sailing as well, when I need to go forward and adjust things, it'll keep a more honest course than a tiller tamer. We get squirrly winds on my inland lake, so setting the tiller tamer is merely a 30 second setting... the Tiller Pilot, will compensate for heavier to lighter air, and give me more of the time I need. It's not a PERFECT device, as if you get a real meaty gust, it'll get overwhelmed and over-correct, but it works for MOST of the air I see.

I am not saying a Tiller Pilot is the "only solution" just one that I feel even on our small inland lake, that makes single handing tons easier. It also allows you to do stuff like this (note the lake, not a soul in sight, love weekdays)... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl4-oSX ... m9QtF0BJ8w

Couple things I do maybe it'll help you I dunno.
* When coming in, I have a "spring line" which runs from the farthest out point on the dock finger, to the bow (I use stretchy line, to absorb shock, but you could also put one of those rubber springs in it, the length usually gives some spring in itself, it's like 25+ feet long). This line runs short enough to prevent the bow from hitting the dock head on. So I always get off on the port finger, so I coast in, run forward and drop the PORT spring line on... so if the boat reaches the end of that line, the boat careens toward PORT! So I throw on the starboard bow line nearly the same time.. this keeps it from reaching port! 2 lines, and the boat never crashes the dock! Now when it reaches the end of these 2 lines, it "bounces" back some... so the next lines I throw on are port bow, and starboard stern. I use 2 spring lines as well (because I can, and because my 9.5' wide boat sits in a 10' wide berth. I put on the port stern line last... and I am done! 6 lines, with only a single bow cleat, and 2 stern cleats... this worked great for my Capri 22 (even in hurricane force winds), and also for my Capri 25 (good to 65mph winds at least!)
* When I am going out, I get as far as I can away from the dock motoring that'll give me enough time/distance to head to wind at a slow speed 1-2 knots and I set my tiller pilot to hold course (I used to do this with a bungee to the traveler)... Then mainsail goes up! Once up, the motor is killed, and tilted out of the water... I assess the winds (to make sure I can fly the genoa/jib I chose at dock), then the bungee (or tiller pilot) go back on now on a nice close reach (with lots of room/time on that tack)... then I go forward and raise Genoa (which is usually bent on, but secured to the lifeline with bungee before I left dock).
* If you don't have a tiller pilot, drop sails and bungee to the deck (to keep them out of the water) only... deal with sails when you finally secure the boat at dock/mooring.

Finally one last thing that I'll contradict myself on... It really stinks when you put away your sails, and put covers over them.. then your motor dies, and you are alone! I submit that dropping the mainsail is good, but covering it is BAD! Stinks when you have to put sails back up to sail into your slip, and now have no way to head to wind to raise your mainsail back up (not that this has EVER happened to me)! I had so many motor problems last year, I was quickly becoming an advocate for SAILS ONLY to dock. I did some REALLY HOT sailing docks last year. The scary ones are when winds are 20+, and you are mainsail alone, with wind at your stern at dock. Other hard ones are wind dead ahead at dock... for both you have to douse your sails JUST right, but with enough speed to hit the dock... OOH it gets ugly quick... but I never smashed the dock... but I've wrestled the boat a few times (that doesn't work if you get much bigger than 25 feet of boat)!

Jul 17, 2013
Xsubsquid and shnool, many thanks for adding these thoughts to the thread. I never did get out single-handing last season, but this year it is one of my topmost sailing goals.

Cheers,
Charlie

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina Capri-18 Dallas TX
I had a Sogman Tiller Brake on my Capri 26. Loved it.

I've broken two Davis Tiller Tamers. the mount geometry on the little Capri tightened
the lines when the tiller was lifted any at all. Snapped the plastic tabs off.

The Cajan rope looped around the tiller works almost as well, but chaffs the finish
on the tiller (High Crimes - mutiny, sodomy, and damaging the bright work)

Sogman (sp?) Tiller Brake
I bought this from Pride Marine in Canada.
I like it best of the bunch.

It's a telescopic tube arrangement that has two adjustment features: A twist lock on the tubes and a screw type fine adjustment.

I made the cheesy U-Joint bracket on the left end where it mounts to the existing tiller pilot socket.
On my boat that limits how far the tiller can move to starboard just a bit, but there is still more than
enough travel for full control.

The only downside I've found with it is the amount of play in the system, and I take that
out with a bungee to the mount post (on the boat side).
Then it tracks very nicely and a quarter turn adjustment is a noticeable trim input.

It can't compensate for me moving around the boat like the tiller pilot does.
But it's easier to set up quickly, knock out of the way quickly, and works better
than anything else that I've tried.

Downside - aliens have abducted all of them on earth.
Seriously, not a peep from Google for Sogman, or Pride Marine.
But it worked so well we may have to reinvent it.

OR?

Break out the Franklins for a tiller pilot?