single shrouds pulling from bulkheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brandon wald

Any one unsure if their shrouds are adequetly fastened on older models in plywood bulkheads? Brandon akasakar@yahoo.com

B

brandon wald

chainplates

I worry that in my 28 with single lower shrouds that they could pull from the plywood bulkheads. There are stainless straps bolted to the bulkhead and they look as the straps have sunk into the wood. Is the bulkhead rotting and do I have to worry about them pulling from the bulkhead? I recently had the boat healing 45 degrees in stiff weather. Nothing indicates that it is near failing but I feel that it will not give warning but would just suddenly fail. Are my concerns warrented? Brandon

B

brandon wald

chainplates

if this gets to Larry Wilson please reply Brandon Wald akasakar@yahoo.com

Nov 23, 2004
Columbia 8.7 Super wide body Deltaville(Richmond)VA
Chainplates

Brandon, Unless you can pierce the bulkheads with a phillips screw driver, or can see obvious evidence of degradation where the bulkhead attaches to the hull, I wouldn't worry about it. It's pretty normal for chainplates and bolt heads to gradually sink into the wooden bulkhead, within reason. if you have real doubts, and want to give yourself some breathing space, attach a safty cable from one of the bolts, to a knee, or one of the floors. This will at least hold the mast up in emergency. Check out some racing boat sites for a setup. Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.