Single-handling the 400

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill C

I have owned C-34 in the past am very interested in purchasing a C-400 MkII due to bigger family, etc. I have test-sailed briefly several times with the owner on several occasions. My concern is the ease of single-handling the boat..both under sail and docking. Any comments and advise would be appreciated. Would i be better off to consider a 36, or 38. Is there a significant difference as you move to the 400.

K

KNoel

my husband

My husband single-hands our Cat 42 MKII w/no problem. I'm not sure if the cockpit on the 40 is laid out the same way, but the 42 is set up for single handing. Sometimes scheduling prevents me from being on an entire trip, so lots of times, we just meet somewhere--I think he enjoys the challenge and solitude!

P

Patrick Higgins

Singlehand

Bill, I singlehand a 380 all the time and, although a challenge in strong wind is do-able. Having an auto-pilot with auto-tack capability makes it much easier. I wouldnt have a dinghy without one now :)!

B

BILL SHAKUN

380 AND BEING SOLO

I solo sail a 380 on Lake Lanier (GA) when the winds are less then 15knots. Backing into a U dock takes more skill when alone. Shouting for deck hands has been most effective to mantain composure and minimize dinks.

B

Bruce Croaning

Singlehand

I single hand my 380 all the time and find it easy to handle in all weather conditions. Have singlehanded in winds over 25 with 3-4" seas. Have Autohelm 6000 autopilot that compliments all the lines running to the cockpit. Docking to my end slip can be a challenge with winds over 15, but center cleat is great balance to bring her to the dock. A straight in slip or mooring would be easier. Roller reefing jib and Dutchman on main are essential. I would think 400 and 42 would handle similarly.

D

Dale Flaming

Single-handing the 470

The 470 has the same rigging setup as the 400 and is very easy to single-hand. In winds of 35 knots it is a little more exciting than I really wanted but the boat was still very controllable. With winds of 20 knots or less it is very easy to single-hand the 470 and I am sure this would be the case with the 400 as well.

S

Steven Harris

Singlehanding

I have a 400 Mk II (Hull 190) and I've not singlehanded yet, but the combination of a fairly heavy steering system and a little forethought has enabled my 17 year old daughter to put it in the slip with no help from me. The boat tracks much better than my old 30' and maintains adequate steerageway under very slow speeds. The new Yanmar is more than capable of pulling you out of a bad spot on short notice. It's a very easy boat to handle once you get used to the jump from 30' to 40'. Under way, it's extremely easy to handle. I've had it out in 25kn with my 71 year-old dad (who had never sailed) for crew and it's a snap.

S

Stan Rogacevicz

Docking May be a Problem

Sailing any size can be tricky if it gets crowded but at least on my c28 and c320 quite managable if you think ahead. A friend of mine has a c400 and docking is the show stopper because the engine controls are on the right pedistal and his dock is on the left, it would be quite a long obstacle filled dash to secure the boat even with no crosswinds to add problems. Just something to consider. Stan "Christy Leigh" c320 #656

B

BILL SHAKUN

BACKING IN

I HAVE A 380 AND BACKING INTO A U DOCK WITH A CROSS WIND PRESENT REQUIRES MORE HANDS THAT GOING SOLO.

J

Jon Arck

How did you fare with the 400?

I also have a C34 (1997 Mk II), and am considering a 400. What did you do? regards, Jon Arck C34 Tweety Bird #1346

G

Gary Jensen

more on single-handing

I presently have a 380 and can single handle it easily-(thanks to the auto pilot). At first the boat was intimidating====but you get use to it. I have sailed a 470 and the first time out it seemed the same way "intimidating"....Now even that is gone. The auto pilot makes all the difference. As for docking, its just a matter of just doing it and getting over the anxiety. SLOW, EASY and METHODICAL, at the begining-----till you get the feel.

B

Bill C

Thanks for the hlep-Single handling the 400

Thank to all that responded to my request for comments on single handling the 400. Several folks talked to me on the phone as well and my wife and I decided to made the "big move". See my "thread" entilted "Creature Features"...thanks again for everyones help....this association is a great perk for a Catalina owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.