Single handing a Capri 14.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 3, 2013
Catalina 14.2 Hilo
The owner's manual says you need at least two on board to right the boat after a capsize. Can a singlehander right a Capri 14.2? If so, what's the technique?

reeder

Jul 12, 2011
Catalina 27 Stockton Lake, MO
Yep, just takes more work. Cut the sheets loose, then get to the centerboard, get up on it and pull, and the get ready to steady the boat as it comes over. Once righted, move to the stern to get back aboard.

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
I'm about your age, 6'5 and 240 lbs. I. Bought a Capri to teach the grand kids on a smaller boat. The biggest problem sailing it alone or with them is to balance the boat with our weight.

I have a small bag attached to the rear hiking strap that has a long strap that makes a loop. If I need to get back in the boat I can pull it over the stern and it gives me a step. I also attached a fish trap ball to the top of the mast to give me time to right the boat is it goes over. So far I have not capsized the boat but I only have been sailing it in lighter winds.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The reason the said two people instead of total weight needed is because you need to keep the mast from going under the water, i.e turning turtle.

So.... if... you find yourself nearing a capsize.... get your butt up on the windward rail asap.... you'll probably have the centerboard down anyway... but your goal is to keep the mast from sinking.... You can rig a righting line to the mast base ahead of time if you think you'll need the additional leverage or stability when standing on the centerboard. Anyhow, while you're balancing up on the rail, getting the boat stable and making sure the sheets are uncleated.... slowly work your way to the centerboard.... there's a good chance, unless youre fighting choppy waves, that the boat will start coming back once you move your weight out a bit....

As the boat begins its uprighting, you may have the opportunity to slip back into the cockpit without getting wet..... that's the goal anyway.... watch your head.... the boom will be moving pretty quickly.... get your weight to the other side of the cockpit to discourage the craft from flipping over the other way.... again, watch your head.

I've taken a lot of dinghy sailing classes and lessons over the years....... ALL of those that were taken through a school, university or yacht club... required its students to demonstrate the ability to right the boats after a capsize.... that's for each dinghy class.. from sabots, lasers, lido 14, hobie, capri 16 etc.... before they were allowed to check out a boat from club/school fleet.

I recommend you practice once you acquire the boat... a calm day near the shore, wear a wetsuit if needed. Because of he calm conditions, you'll have a hard time getting the boat to capsize at first... but that's a learning experience too... Have fun.... once you figure out that you can get the boat upright your confidence will soar....

Status
Not open for further replies.