single handedly raising mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nicole

I just purchased a 1982 MacGregor 22 and would like to know how I (a female) can raise the mast and attach the forestay myself. Will I need to purchase a peice of equipment or what are the step by step intructions for doing this myself? Thanks in advance. Nicole (Phoenix, AZ)

J

John Keklak

Nicole, Your boat can most likely can be outfitted with the standard Macgregor mast-raising kit that will allow you to raise the mast yourself, even while you are on the water (handy for going under bridges or launching the boat on a ramp with low-hanging tree branches). You can order a kit on-line from Havencraft (http://www.havencraft.com). It is pretty easy to install. Some tips and issues: (a) You probably have to install a new mast step (with the hinge in the back), (b) Make sure you seal all holes you drill for bolts with marine caulk (also available from Havencraft), (c) When raising the mast for the first time, loosen all of the rigging (in particular, the back stay), attach the forestay, then tighten the rest of the rigging, (d) If you don't have jib sheet blocks, install some so you can crank them to pull the mast-raising line (even with the mechanical advantage of the mast-raising system, a fair amount of force is needed when the mast is nearly horizontal; the force required drops off quickly as the mast goes up) (e) It is helpful for the mast-support crutch to be adjustable so you can incline the mast up by a few degrees before starting to lift it. This reduces the initial force required some. Once you install the mast-raising system, you'll wonder how you ever managed without it. Happy sailing! John

J

Jason

mac 22

OK, I had the same type of problem. Im new at sailing so I hope this makes sense. Do everything that you would normally do before you raise that mast. Now.. pull the forestay as far foreward as you can. Get a rope attach it to the forestay, then run that rope to the front of the boat where your anchor would be, pull the rope back to the base of the mast. So when you lift the mast up, you can pull on the rope to help[ guide you up. If you didnt understand this you can call me 1-843-247-4448. Its the cheapest way to do it and it works. Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.