Single handed mainsail furling

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frank Schueler

I have a basic 1976 H30 that fits our budget well. The boat is in great shape and we enjoyed it all summer long. We have two children under 3yrs. My wife usally is keeping the kids quiet when we leave or arrive at the peer, which means I'm sailing by myself. The jib is furled and most of the time this isn't a problem but when the wind kicks up to 22-25 I want to calm things down a little. At this point it's tough to do two things at once. My problem is that to reef the mainsail I need to leave the cockpit and then there is nobody to steer the boat. I know that I can buy a furling main but the cost is more than what I paid for the boat. I know that there is a less expensive way to raise/lower or reef the main from the cockpit, but I'm not quite sure what or how to do this. Could you explain this or point me to someone who would know.

J

John G. New

Heave-to

You could try heaving the boat to, and then leaving the cockpit to reef. Come about, but don't release the sheets, so that the headsail is backwinded. As she starts to fall off, put the helm down (steer back into the wind) and then lock the wheel or put a becket on the tiller. The boat should balance nicely between the headsail and rudder and make slight progress to leeward, leaving you free to leave the cockpit and reef the main. After reefing, release the sheets on the backed headsail, haul in on the leeward sheets, and off you go!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Mainsail furling

In addition to heaving to, which I did on our old Catalina 25, you could also install reefing lines led back to the cockpit. Harken and others make single line reefing lines which you can install on the boom, run the lines forward to the mast, and then back to the cockpit through blocks on the cabintop. You'll need either clats or sheetstoppers on the cabintop to hold the reefing lines in place. We now have double line reefing lines on our Catalina 34, run the way I described the single line above, but instead of one line for both the tack and the clew, we have two individual lines. While it appears to be harder, we've found it better than the single line, because the clew needs more tension than the tack. One other approach is to reef before you go out if it may get windy. You can always, and more easily, raise the main later if the wind fails to appear. Either way you choose to do it (heave to, single or double reefing lines), I recommend that you peruse boating catalogs and sailing books to get a better and more detailed description of the options available to you, and make your own decision for what will best work for you.

J

Jack

How about an autopilot?

I'm sure it wouldn't cost more than you paid for the boat and would free you to do other tasks as well as reefing. You could then add a Sailrite jiffy reefing kit for reefing from the mast saving the cost of several blocks and sheet stoppers. The kit consists of one cheek block, materials for adding reefing grommets to your sail, and an eye. You will also need a hook for the reef at the tack. Just another cheap solution.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Autopilot?

Frank: What you need is another crew member. We call her Simba (nickname for our Simrad Autopilot). She never complains, never needs to use the head, doesn't drink or eat much and does care what she looks like. I'd suggest that you get yourself one. If you are concerned about the clearance between the wheel and the shift lever, you can always use the WP5000. These units are well made and work very good too.

T

Tim Stodola

Mainsail handling

Hello Frank, Welcome to the Doyle Sailmakers Forum. An auto pilot is a great idea under your circumstances. Heaving to may actually scare the children. Along with the autopilot, you may wish to consider a mainsail luff track system. This can be added to your boat and mainsail for probably under $1000. But this will virtually eliminate the friction of the sail going up and down. Along with a set of lazy jacks, when the wind gets to be too much, it will expedite reefing, or you can just let the halyard go and get rid of the main in an instant.

B

Bill Colombo

Reef from the Cockpit!

I think Stu is on the right track by recommending you reconfigure your boom/deck hardware so that you can control the Main Halyard and reef lines from the cockpit. Single line reefing means that one line tightens the reef clew and reef tack simultaneously with one line. Double line slab reefing uses separate lines for the reef tack and reef clew. Whichever you choose it helps to have a rope clutch for the halyard as well as marks on the halyard itself so you can quickly set it to the right position for each reef. Find a good rigger in you area to recommend and install the hardware correctly. Bill Colombo Doyle Sailmakers SF

A

Alan Gibson

Headsail - Mainsail Slot

I own a Grampian 28' sailboat and participate in local club racing. As the mast stays are attached to the deck in the same area as the lifelines there is no inboard track for the genoa sheeting blocks. These are attached to the toerail. Does my inability to close the slot between main and genoa, as more competetive boats can, rob me of a significant edge in performance?

D

David Foster

We heave to

We heave to as John G. describes to reef even when the Admiral is aboard. Your h30 will heave to very nicely, and everything relaxes. With a clam boat (you have to experience this to understand the change in boat comfort a wind and waves are picking up) you reef at liesure, and then take off with a nicely balanced sailplan. Best of all, this approach just means exercising a little seamanship, and requires no modification to your boat. (Adding single line reefing led back to the cockpit is a good idea, but would take some time. So it is well down our "to do" list.) By the way, we reef our main before rolling up our 110 genny, which then becomes our tuning reef until we go to the second on the main. David Lady Lillie '77 h27

B

Bill O'Donovan

Try this

Simply roll in the jib. That will ease pressure off the main and preclude reefing. It won't slow you down, and will give you more control.

R

RonD

Ease the main

You can get things under control (until the wind REALLY gets challenging) by easing the main to de-power the boat. Reefing in the jib without adjusting the main might give to too much weather helm to be comfortable with. Best way is to move the traveller toward the leeward, keeping the main fairly flat. In a pinch, you can ease the main sheet, but that puts a lot of curl into the main. Installing a "Jiffy-Reef" system on the main with the lines run to the cockpit would be a good investment. It should be a relatively inexpensive option ("relative" compared to buying/installing an autopilot or main roller reefing). A good safety feature, too. It would be wise to tether the kids & train the wife to take the helm, too. --Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.