Simrad RS35, HS35 not connecting

JoeK

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 34 Oxford, md
My Simrad HS35 handset is no longer connecting to the RS35 base station. The handset appears to be charging but when I turn it on it just keeps flashing "connecting" and then turns off after a minute or so. I have read all the related posts on this site and have tried several fixes with no help. I have deleted the handset from the base station and then repaired them successfully but no help. I have unplugged the battery to "reset" the handset but no help. I have installed a new battery but no help. Does anyone have another idea? I contacted Simrad but they no longer support the RS35. Any ideas will be appreciated.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Sad to hear they don’t support the RS35 anymore. I have had good luck with them on the phone before. By e-mail not so much.

Did you accidentally do a software update on the radio? There were some firmware updates that broke connectivity with the handset until the handset was updated too. Beyond that I don’t have any suggestions unfortunately. I’ve seen a few reports of problems like that without any good resolution. :confused:

JoeK

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 34 Oxford, md
I have not done any firmware updates. Do they happen automatically? How would I update the hand set?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I have not done any firmware updates. Do they happen automatically? How would I update the hand set?
They don’t happen automatically. If you have a plotter on the NMEA network and it has WiFi connectivity to the internet it could push an update to the RS35, but it would prompt you first and ask if you wanted to update it. The handset could only be updated by Simrad, but they might not do that anymore. What software versions do they each show when you turn them on?

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I contacted Simrad but they no longer support the RS35. Any ideas will be appreciated.
That's awful. I have a ten year old Simrad VHF and wireless remote and we really like it. It interfaces with our Lowrance nine inch plotter/radar instrument.
We do have one thing going for us that not every sailor has: a long term local marine electronics store. Real technicians and experienced staff that know stuff. My better luck is that I can walk there from my marina. :)

Can you look around and see if you have a servicing Simrad/Lowrance/B&G dealer somewhere in your area? I hope that you do, Good luck!

JoeK

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 34 Oxford, md
They don’t happen automatically. If you have a plotter on the NMEA network and it has WiFi connectivity to the internet it could push an update to the RS35, but it would prompt you first and ask if you wanted to update it. The handset could only be updated by Simrad, but they might not do that anymore. What software versions do they each show when you turn them on?
I checked the software versions and they are different. RS35 V2.91 and HS35 V2.87 but I doubt that is the problem since they worked until a month ago and I didn't update anything. there is no internet at my marina so I will travel somewhere that I can get it and see if that helps anything. I have also emailed the previous owner to see if he has any ideas. Wish me luck.