silicone removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John D LeClare

I was forced to drop my keel to the limit of the keel bolts last night. After sitting on land for three years the silicone someone had beaded the keel in had failed(no surprise) I only have a 1/2" to remove the old silicone from the two inch deep pocket for the keel. Is there a product to remove old silicone caulk? I have to have the boat off the straps in six days. Any ideas would be helpfull. Oh yes, I am rebeading with 5200. thanks

J

Jon Bastien

3M Adhesive remover?

I don't have any experience with this solution, but I have seen it written in the forums that 3M Adhesive Remover will help with silicon. The advice I remember seeing said to apply it, wait a little while for it to soak in, and then scrape like hell. Of course, with only 1/2" slot to work through, I can see how the "scrape like hell" portion would be a problem. Here's an idea- Can you rest the keel on some type of jack, remove the nuts holding in the keel, and lower it further? Not quite so far as to let the bolts come out of the holes in the hull, but maybe that 1/2" to 3/4" would make it easier to work with... as long as you can jack it back into place when you're finished. May make the job easier! Good luck, --Jon Bastien H25 'Adagio' H23 '2 Sheets to the Wind'

B

Bob Rutland

Try West Marine

I think they have a product that will remove silicon. There is another product called kriptonite(like superman's nemesis) that says it will remove 3M 5200 and silicone. Good Luck, Bob S/V Lady Di II

J

J Pierce

worth a try

Some times this works if you take strong fishing line and "saw" back and forth it will kinda cut through that stuff dont forget to wear your gloves good luck

R

Ron Barrow

After you use the fishing line (Great Idea!) ....

try Interlux 202 Solvent. It will clean thin layers of silicone caulk and other caulk from gelcoat/fiberglass. Interlux recommends use as final step before applying epoxies and bottom paint. It should produce a good clean surface. RB

Status
Not open for further replies.