Sidewall fabric upgrade

Aug 7, 2015
Oday 34 previous, O’Day 40 current Annapolis
Our sidewall fabric has always reminded me of herculon, you know the type of loose weave fabric you might expect to see in an old dorm room couch. Fortunately, it is still well attached but am wondering if anyone has tried to paint it and what was used?

Mar 24, 2012
O'Day 40 BC Coast
Ours was pretty dingy and, where it was behind furniture, mildew smelling. We ripped it all out, insulated with Armaflex and then covered that with white pvc inside the cupboards and teak where it is visible. It looks pretty nice and has made the boat more comfortable.

Mar 7, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Savannah
On my Hunter the sidewall fabric was a dingy gray carpet that over the years got wet, held mold and mildew, etc. Looked horrible over the years we owned the boat. One day we decided to pull out all the fabric sidewalls and installed 1/2 foam against the hull for soundproofing and plastic sheeting (1/16 inch thick) with adhesive and it now looks like a new boat interior. Bright white side walls and it cleans easilly and doesn’t get the mold or mildew anymore.
Here is the before for the aft berth:

IMG_5764.jpeg

And here is the after:

Attachments

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2012
O'Day 40 BC Coast
Nicely done! It's tough to get the curves right. What is the bead covering the joint?

Aug 7, 2015
Oday 34 previous, O’Day 40 current Annapolis
On my Hunter the sidewall fabric was a dingy gray carpet that over the years got wet, held mold and mildew, etc. Looked horrible over the years we owned the boat. One day we decided to pull out all the fabric sidewalls and installed 1/2 foam against the hull for soundproofing and plastic sheeting (1/16 inch thick) with adhesive and it now looks like a new boat interior. Bright white side walls and it cleans easilly and doesn’t get the mold or mildew anymore.
Here is the before for the aft berth:

View attachment 216026

And here is the after:
Impressive