Side Cabin Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 15, 2011
Newport 30MKII Bayview ID
Does anyone have information on a source for the rectangular side cabin windows for a Newport 30?...Went up to the boat this weekend and two of the four windows were leaking like a sieve. I think I got one fixed, but the plastic on the other was too brittle to save as it kind of disintegrated when I removed it.
Thanks
Ed

Apr 15, 2011
newport 30 point roberts WA
My newport 30 (1981 model) had rotten wood below the cabin windows due to leaks. Apparently it's a common problem with these boats as the cut-outs were made too big, leaving little structure for the sealant to be effective. I removed all 4 of the ports, sandblasted them, and had them powdercoated (paint won't last). When I put them back in, I slathered on as much 'Lifeseal' sealant on both side as I could and remounted them. So far (touch wood) no leaks. Your outer window seals are probably junk. I found a regular house window rubber seal that matched the old seal profile and put it in with a lot of lifeseal. Again, no leaks.
Hope this helps.

Steve

Jan 15, 2011
Newport 30MKII Bayview ID
thanks Steve...I managed to get the worst port back into place and used a whole lot of RTV silicone to seal it up...also used the RTV to put the plastic outer rim pieces back into place and hopefully hold them for a while. Am thinking of making my own out of teak trim and lexan, but that is a winter project.

Apr 15, 2011
newport 30 point roberts WA
No problem Ed. Be carefull with RTV or other sealants when it comes to sealing plastic parts. Some sealants will destroy the plastic. I have discovered 'Lifeseal' sealant, and am a convert! It's a bit expensive, but I've found it an excellent all-round sealant.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.