Shroud Tensioning

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
SHROUD TENSIONING?

For the first time I'm in a position of setting tension on all SHROUDS, BackStay and ForeStay. I've looked at getting a LOOS & COMPANY Rig Tension Gauge. The only problem now is getting the right tension. :confused: I've looked around on the net but couldn't find anything to go by. My boat is a Catalina 310 2003.

If anyone has gone through this procedure with success could you help me out with the information.

Cheers & Thanks

2 OLD PIRATES

May 2, 2012
Hi JK:
Not sure what you mean by this sentence.

"I advise the gauges. All put the split backstays are straight forward that way."

Cheers and thanks for the response.

2 OLD PIRATES

May 2, 2012
I just gave it a little more thought :confused: about what you just said. Do you need the additional other gauge for the split BackStay. Could you not just put the guage on the single part of the Backstay just before the Split.

Cheers

2 OLD PIRATES

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I just gave it a little more thought :confused: about what you just said. Do you need the additional other gauge for the split BackStay. Could you not just put the guage on the single part of the Backstay just before the Split. Cheers 2 OLD PIRATES
You need the smaller gauge for the intermittent shrouds. They are smaller diameter then the forestay, cap shrouds and back stay.

With the back stays you can't easily reach the part above the split. You can check it on each side but you have to do some math to work out what it should be each side. I don't think anyone has done this yet on the 310. I did mine with the roller furler disassembled so I could check the forestay. I had to keep checking the rake and adjust all 3 together. It worked ok but isn't perfect.

Someone with more experience might offer a better answer.

May 2, 2012
Thanks a bunch JK. This is very helpful. This info should set me in the right direction.

Cheers

2 OLD PIRATES