Shower Curtain

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Did a search of the forums and couldn't find anything on this....

Have any Catalina (or other) owners done anything with the shower curtains in their heads?? I have found the curtains on my 310 (specifically the tracks and slides) are absolutely horrible. They constantly pop out and slide off of the ends and the plastic is thin and the system, in my opinion, cheaply made. Once the slides pop out a few times, they never stay in.

I basically live on the boat in the summer and shower on it almost every night (sometimes I go to the marina shower!)

I looked around the internet and couldn.t find anything that looks like it would work. Any solutions out there so I don't have to reinvent the wheel??

Attachments

Erieau

Apr 3, 2009
Oday 25 Erieau
Those tracks/slides look like the curtain slides on an RV. Is there an RV service centre near you that you could check out for some ideas?

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
We don't even have a shower curtain in our head, as we never really use the shower.
I honestly usually use the shower at the marina that I pay a lot of money for instead!
That way they have to clean all the water up. Doesn't it kinda make a mes of water in the head, unles you have a dedicted shower stall? We usually on sail about a day or so out at a time, so we usually rough it a day & shower then next at out destination. Plus at anchor it uses up tons of finite water supply. I think the idea about checking out the R.V store was a good one. I'm sure that's where the C 30 original interior sinks, faucets, cabinet hinges & hardware & that weird woven sliding privacy screen come from!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Gee, jr, he asked about shower curtains, NOT whether to shower on his boat or not. Of course, that's one option: set it up so you don't need curtains. But really... I LIKE showering on our boat, my Admiral roughs it like you do or uses the facilities, but Jack is looking for a shower curtain, so he must use his, no?

Jack, I agree that there isn't much, I just did a search, too.

I did find this one answer embedded in the OP's question:

I was thinking of attaching 4 hooks of some type in each corner of the head area and just hang a standard shower curtain up when I needed it.

So...maybe the answer is to "think outside the box" and instead of using the sliders, just revert to hooks.

The RV resource idea is good, too, and I saw some of that same suggestion in my searching.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
jrowan said:
...Doesn't it kinda make a mes of water in the head ...Plus at anchor it uses up tons of finite water supply.
Not really. The shower sump takes care of most of it and I wipe the sole with a chamois. Our shower is in the area of the toilet and the curtain divides it from the sink/cabinet area so i have a dry place to step out to when done. Ironically, one of the main arguments i have for using the on-board shower is that it keeps the head very clean. The sole, counter, toilet and inaccessible area behind are spotless.

As far as water usage goes, I probably use less than a gallon of water per shower. About 10 sec wet down, shampoo, scrub, 10-20 sec rinse. Washing the morning coffee mugs probably uses more! My toilet is also fresh water flushed and having an 8 year old forces me to keep the tanks topped off!! BTW, the toilet is plumbed properly and there's no direct connection to my tank so it is safe!

I may try the hook thing. I use the 3M Command hooks and hangers all over the boat so maybe there's something I can rig up to solve my problem. I'll definitely check the local RV place too. I get a lot of boat things there...don't know why I didn't think of that!!!

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Do you need something really special? Or can you fabricate a curtain with household gear?..... Fresh water is fresh water.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Nothing special. Was probably going to see how I can put up some hooks and hang a household curtain. Just Wang to rid myself of the useless slides and rails.

StanFM

Jun 26, 2012
S2 7.3 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Hey... Great link. I might get one of those for my boat! Although, don't things that are useful on a sailboat have to cost at least $70? :doh:

Stan

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I have a 309, and it has the same tracks and curtain. I bought vinyl shower curtains from a big box, and used them to fabricate a much larger curtain for the head. Basically, it attaches to the walls with velcro, and sort of drapes over the toilet. There's a cutout for it to go under the opening port in the head.

By attaching it to the walls, it doesn't fall down, and it doesn't try to wrap around me when I shower.

It's all one piece. I set it on the head floor, stand in the middle of it, and then pull it up and velcro it in place. When the shower's done, I pull it down and hang it in the cockpit to dry.

By the way, I don't use the faucet to shower. I have a bucket and fill it with 2 gallons of warm water. I have a hose clipped to it, and a foot pump with a hose and a small handheld shower head attached to it. I just work the pump and direct the hose where needed. VERY little wasted water, and it's just the right temperature. Also, if there's no hot water available, all I have to do is boil a pan of water and pour it in the bucket with cold water from the faucet. Just add cold to the hot until the temp is good. Works great. Also works great out in the cockpit.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Stu Jackson said:
Bucket idea sounds nice, but if you get a shutoff on the shower wand you don't waste water and can keep the temperature set
I have one on the shower head and it does make it very easy to control usage and temp. Works very well.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try to work on that this week an get this headache out of the way!! It's the little things that are the most annoying!!

Status
Not open for further replies.