shoveling not sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rick

Hi guys, Im in the middle of a full blown snow storm. I was unable to get my boat indoors, the poor thing is in the snowbank with a tarp over it. I was able to make my new cherry tiller though, one more coat of varnish and its done. It turned out pretty nice. I did bend 1/4" strips together with apoxy to make it strong, no breaking this one. Question, I have about 10 sails in great shape, they came with a flying dutchman I bought for $350, [ good deal ay ] but they need alterd somewhat to fit my balboa, so am I better off altering, trading or selling and buying new? Here in marquette there is no place to go for sailboat paraphernalia, so Im kinda stuck with the internet. Any advice would be helpful, I gotta be ready to sail for spring. The more I think of it the more I think Im going to keep the sink where its at for now. It would be alot of work to tear it out and make the boat structurly sound again, not that I wont, just not now, theres enough to work on as it is.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
sails ??

How much modification are you facing? For a boat that size a good domestic machine will sew everything but the hand finishing work. You could modify your sails between snow shoveling trips.;-)

J

Jim Hart, Balboa, Triton

Sail Mods/NewJim Hart

New sails that are built for your boat will always be better than old or even new modified sails. If you can unload your sails and get a halfway decent price (depends on condition and if you can find someone who needs the sizes you have) you'll be happier with new sails. That being said, I have a lot of old sails that will last a lot longer if I'm not in any hurry. I do however just hate it when an inferior boat sails by me. Jim

R

Ron Johnson

Sailing, not shoveling

As a former Yooper, I sympathize with your plight. It's a long wait between Fall Take-Out and Spring Put-In in Lake Superior. It's a good chance to get things done, I guess, but all things considered I rather be sailing. Since I moved to Missouri I have been able to sail my B26 about 11 months out of the year. The boat stays in a slip year-round (I'm contemplating taking it out this weekend for some needed bottom painting and to replace the gate valves on the thru-hulls with seacocks, but I keep thinking about the good sailing I will miss while it's out of the water). I envy your summer sailing, however. A long sail in Missouri means going around in a lot of little circles...there is no big water. The Great Lakes are such a wonderful place to sail that I'd give up my little year-round mud puddle in MO for four good months on Lake Michigan or Lake Superior. All I've got to say is "Say Ya to da UP, eh!" Ron B26 #733

R

Ron T

selling used sails

10 sails is a lot of potential $ if most of them are in good shape. All you need are 2 (main and jib) to 4 (main, 100% jib, 140% jib, and spiniker if inspired) to be out there. Have someone who knows a bit about quality inspect your inventory so you know what quality, sizes, manufactureres that you have. Then contact used sail sellers like Bacons in Annapolis (there are others listed in the clasifieds in SAIL magazine and probably from a Google search on the web). Some of those shops have huge inventories of sails and some that will fit your B-20. They will be able to size the sails for your boat. Then I would offer them a trade. 10 sails for 3 or 4. They get more sails to sell and you get what you need. Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.