Should we or shouldn't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Cameron

We're considering buying a Mac 25 for canal and river sailing in eastern Ontario. Our last boat was a Grampian 26 weighing in at 2.5 tons, and drawing a fixed-keel 4'3". Informed bu honest opinions, please--are we going to find the Mac uncomfortably tender?

G

George Lavoie

Venture 25

Think you will be very happy with the Venture 25. I sailed one for 4 seasons on the Coast of Maine and only had one glitch that I was able to fix on the water. I've sail many boats and the Venture is an excllent boat....George

J

Jeff Smith

what do want

I've only had a Mac 25' since last fall. Mine is an 81'. I'll tell you I looked at 25 footers for over a year, and for what I wanted, a trailorable boat, you can't beat it. I've looked at a dozen trailorable boats, and by far, the Mac is the best. Now you might do better with a Mac 26' since river cruizing may utilize a bigger motor better. The best thing about a trailorable, is the fact that they only draw about 2 feet. I think that would be ideal for river sailing.

R

Rich Wallace

I have had a 25 since 1988

I bought a 1985 model in 1988, and I still own it. It is a great starter boat in many ways. It is fairly light weight which makes it easy to tow. The retractible keel and rudder keep you from getting into real trouble. I just sailed into the shallows with the keel down, and when it started to drag, I just raised it up some. It has enough room for two to be reasonable comfortable and you can add a couple of more for a day or two. I did some modifications to the boat to make it more useful. I added some shelves on the starboard side to hold the galley items. I also put in a permanent fuel tank, properly installed and vented. The boat came with an 8 HP Mariner. Around 1993 I bought a 9.9 Yamaha 4 Stroke. I strengthened the transome to carry the extra weight. The Yamaha has a 13 amp alternator also. The only major improvement I made was to put Interlux 2000 barrier coat on the bottom. The MacGregor gelcoat leaves a lot to be desired. Today, my son sails the boat in the summer. We moved on to a 34 Hunter because of some stiffness in the joints (getting old-darn)that are better accommodated on a bigger boat. After all of this, the answer in my opinion is that you would find the boat an excellent choice for the limited water you are considering. It is not a big water boat although we and now my son have sailed it extensively on Lake Erie.

Status
Not open for further replies.