Should we buy a 1974 O'Day 20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

My wife ran across a 1974 O'Day 20 at a yard sale(!) with the owner asking $2,500, including the trailer and 75cc Honda motor (8 hours use since a rebuild). I haven't even seen it yet, so can't comment on its condition. But here's the question: we're both wannabe sailors. She took a class a few years ago, but the bottom line is, we're dirt beginners. There are some great mountain lakes nearby where we can learn, and a local sailing club. Would this be a good choice for a "first boat," and (assuming good condition), does it sound like a deal to jump at? (I'm printing out the responses to Don's question about the 22' O'Day, especially the one about what to look for.) Thanks in advance. --Dave Bloch, Grass Valley, CA

M

Mike Whalen

Why Not

Dave, If the trailer is in good shape its probably worth $1,000. The real question is do ya have the money. And is the boat sound. If so then its the prefect boat to start with. If not then the one you can afford taht is sound will be the perfect boat to start with. The thing is to sail! I started on an Aqua Finn (read Sunfish) then got a 14' dingy. Now I'm the proud owner of a 25. Was talking to my s/o co-owner the other day. We go to diner and a movie every friday. Have season tickets to the theater. We do two or three concerts a year. That's about $1800 on entertainment. You'll get the purchase price out of it the first year. Then maybe you buy something bigger AND MAYBE you don't. $2500 don't buy much these days but it could buy you a boat full of fun. Sail on, Mike

I

IKe Enriquez

20 Oday

Dave, I just bought a 75 Oday22 last November. Go for it and have fun with it and check out the San Jose Sailing Club in the internet. Life is to short.

D

Dave

More on the boat

Took some photos, which you'll find <a href="http://sbs.nccn.net/oday" target="blank">RIGHT HERE</A>. Boat and trailer look to be in good shape on the surface. Owner may be willing to take us out on a test sail next weekend, so we'll keep you all posted. And now, we're heading over to the lake (the home of the Gold Country Yacht Club) to check out the scene there.

S

Skipper of Cool Breeze

Looking Good

Though I'd sailed many a sunfish in my youth, I hadn't sailed in 20 years when I bought a Mariner 6 years ago. I already was on the go for it mode before I saw the pictures but from what I see it looks great. The bottom looked normal, the cushions in good shape, the hull decent. There are many other things that go into the equation but it I'd say you've got a good start. It's an easy boat to sail and should be great for learning. Big enough to not worry about power boats racing around, yet small enough to handle with two (even solo once seasoned). Besides, it will look better on the water rather than being stuck as a storage spot for golf clubs.

L

Levi

Looks Good But A Bit Pricey Maybe.

I know life is a bit cheaper here on the north coast compared to where you are still unless you get to see how it handles and if you can trailer it easily, the price seems a bit high. I realize the outboard prices are outlandish now and if this one performs well you might have a fairly good deal with this boat. If the rebuild on the motor is not good you are looking at another $1000 for a new 4-horse which is what that boat should have as a minimum size. I sold my 74 O'Day 22 last year (without motor) for $1800 merely because we are quite far from decent sailing areas so I had to cut the price from $2200. It was in great condition for the age and it gave me 20 years of great fun with no maintenance other than bottom paint & license fees. You are looking at a pretty nice boat and if the equipment is decent and the motor is ok I'd say GO FOR IT!! That boat is built just like my 22...solid stuff everywhere...only it's a much handier size to learn on and it should go on for many years giving you lots of great fun. Hope you are sailing soon. Levi

L

Levi

Looks Good But A Bit Pricey Maybe.

I know life is a bit cheaper here on the north coast compared to where you are still unless you get to see how it handles and if you can trailer it easily, the price seems a bit high. I realize the outboard prices are outlandish now and if this one performs well you might have a fairly good deal with this boat. If the rebuild on the motor is not good you are looking at another $1000 for a new 4-horse which is what that boat should have as a minimum size. I sold my 74 O'Day 22 last year (without motor) for $1800 merely because we are quite far from decent sailing areas so I had to cut the price from $2200. It was in great condition for the age and it gave me 20 years of great fun with no maintenance other than bottom paint & license fees. You are looking at a pretty nice boat and if the equipment is decent and the motor is ok I'd say GO FOR IT!! That boat is built just like my 22...solid stuff everywhere...only it's a much handier size to learn on and it should go on for many years giving you lots of great fun. Hope you are sailing soon. Levi

J

James

I just got one

I just picked up a 20' 1974 Oday same scenerio as yours. The boat sat for two years and was a little dirty, it cleaned up pretty easy. I went through the entire boat and it is built really well for an older boat. I am happy with it. Have fun.

T

T. D.

Self taught on '74 OD 20

With a very nervous wife and two VERY active boys ages 4 and 2 at the time. It was our first boat of any type. Excellent boat to learn. Easy to trail, step the mast, launch haul and sail. It too is now for sale as we have moved up to an OD25. :) Good luck.

D

Dave

Taking it out this weekend

OK folks, we're probably hooked. The owner is taking us out to the nearest lake on Saturday morning, so we'll find out first hand whether the mast falls over at the first wind, etc. In the meantime, I'm having a hitch installed on our pickup truck tomorrow (Tuesday). And I actually set foot in a West Marine store today. Dang, this is serious... Price may be a little bit high, but they do tend to be that around these parts. And the owner is practically a neighbor. And who knows, there could be some great sailing weekend on San Francisco Bay (in the larger boat she wants to buy) that come from this. THANKS for all the responses!! I can see this will be a fun community to belong to.

D

Dave

BOUGHT THE BOAT

The owners took us out on the boat today, and it was just great. (A really perfect-weather day certainly helped.) We're now the proud owners of a 1974 O'Day 20. Thanks very much to all who wrote! I know we'll be in touch with all of you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.