SHOULD I JUST KEEP IT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John J. Brady

I need an opinion guys. Only other Cherubini Owners would understand. I have the 84 H27 and have been thinking it's time to move up finally. I really don't want to due to I only want a 30 or 33 Cherubini. And I have not yet found the right deal (i.e. No one to trade, I just put mine up for sale, I don't want to finance while I wait wor mine to sell). I love "ANTEROS" and have had It since new in 84 for $32,000.00. The situation that has changed however is that the summer marina I grew up at has closed up shop and the only other one around is National Park Service run and does not have hot showers. With the addition of Shannon 4yr and Sean 2yr Its now hard to stay on the H27 for a week or more. Therefore I need to either buy some Cherubini with H&C Shower and more head room or figure out a way to put one on mine. to add to all of this did I mention that I need Shoal Draft 4' MAX. I can live with the lack of head room, But the H&C shower has now become a must. Has anyone either put one in a 27, or does anyone know of a 33 owner who needs to step down for cash?

P

Pat Spino

Shower option

John If I am reading your post correctly, you love your boat and do not want to sell it. It appears that the major concern is the shower problem. If that is the only difficulty I would keep the boat. There are several solutions to the shower problem. 1. add a cockpit shower module sold by all of the "discount" stores. 2. I solved the problem in a even simpler way. I had a 33 Cherubini Raider that I absolutely loved---one of the best sailing boats I have been on. I simply imstalled a faucet adapter on the galley sink faucet then made up a hand held shower device by adding extension tubing to a commercial portable shower which is operated by an on/off button at the shower head. The extension was added by using a threaded pipe connector. The shower tubing was now long enough to reach the back of the cockpit. I would turned the water on at the galley sink and operate the shower on/off button from the cockpit. 3. A bucket makes an interesting showering device as does a, 4. sunshower. By using one or several of the above suggestion you will solve your shower problems and be able to keep the boat you love. If, however, there are other reasons for you thinking of "moving up" then do so, making sure the next boat solves all of the current problems. Good Luck PAT

T

Tim Schaaf

Curtains

I have also seen advertised a contraption that you could hang up, sort of like a shower stall with flexible curtain walls. The bottom was like a sump where the water would accumulate. I also knew of some people who made themselves such a set-up that fit perfectly in their salon. When they couldn't shower in the cockpit they set it up, used it, then put it away. Seems a shame to trade an old, otherwise treasured friends, just because of a shower. However, I will say that the shower on the 33 is great. I have lived aboard mine for fifteen + years and usually shower aboard, twice a day.

E

Ed Tamara

My feelings exactly

Hi John: I know is a hard dilemma, you love your boat and only one more thing will make it perfect. I have the same boat deep keel and I have all the amenities that I can put on her; also I want a bigger boat but mine does eveything the other ones do and mine is paid for so I don't know what to do and I have been in this for the last 4 years. So if you want a shower only, you can keep your loved boat just by tapping into the line in the head and sticking a T and attaching a hose with head you can find in Home Depot, if you wnat you can put a shut off valve there also, you can use it as a shower in the head and borrow your son's little plastic inflatable pool and put it on the floor and after a shower you can empty it on the sink, also you can tap the water line under the galley sink and do the same but attach a long high pressure hose and take it to the back lazarette and you can install a regular shower head or do the same as in the head, you can take showers outside and if there are any onlookers put your sunshades on to keep the guessing. the shower head in the head can double up as a bidet if your wife likes those things. If you insulate the bottom of the mast support you dont have to use your sons pool and open your bilge a little bit so the water can run into it, but you'll get hairs in the bilge pump, the outside shower is the one that we use all the time. Good Luck Ed Tamara S/V Mastconfusion

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Don't want to start a food fight here but......

you Cherubini guys are just like the guys that like the old muscle cars. Well I have got to tell you, the new cars are sure a lot better than those old relics. There are so many more things out there that you don't even realize you are missing by not wanting to look at the newer boats. You know things like a fresh water cooled engine, hotwater heaters that don't need AC to heat, showers, larger cockpits, the ability to have a dodger, better space utilization, multiple cabins, microwave ovens, rigging all your lines to the cockpit, larger engines and the list goes on. Oh, I know that many of you are going to say, *well we can do that to our boats too*. The matter of fact is that you can do anything to any of these boats but by the time you spend the money to do them you could have a newer boat with *all* the amenities. Branch out and look at the newer models before you say something like * Only other Cherubini Owners would understand*. I had a Cherubini and loved it. I moved on to a 1985 H'31 and love it more. If you look at the difference between the H'30 (Cherubini) and our '85 H'31 you will see what I am talking about. There is a big world out there and you MAY be missing something if you don't broaden you horizons. There is NOTHING wrong with those boats but there are good alternatives. Check'um out you MAY be suprised.

R

Ray Bowles

STEVE, GET IN OUT OF THE SUN!!!...

....before the mental damage becomes irreverseable. Muscle cars vs. rice rockets. Close to blasphemy. John, I do agree with Steve that a lot of the newer models are probably better suited for the needs of a family. If a different location to base your sailing ventures out of is not possible you might consider Steve's idea. Good luck with a hard choice. Ray

D

David

Keep it or not

John, you have a great boat. A few years ago I was working at the Newport Sailboat Show. During the show someone from the factory introduced me to a very nice couple who cruise tested the boats for Hunter. ( Sorry, I can't remember their name.) I was very familiar with the later model Hunters but not the Cherubini models. I was aware of the 25, 27,30, 33, and the 37 but they told me that one of their most favorites was the H 36. When I was ready to purchase another boat a few years later I remembered their comments. I found a Cherubini 36 and for a couple cruising or two couples weekending it is a great boat. For appearence, quality, and sailing ability the Cherubini designs are, in my opinion, at the very least equal to anything built later! Do you think I might have some bias?

S

Sam Lust

Difference

The major difference between the Cherubinis and the committee designed Hunters, aside from beauty, is dollars. For various reasons the older designs are more often than not a bargain. 33's can be had in the realistic range of $15 to $30 thousand. Not all of us have bags of money tucked into sail lockers. We also enjoy essentially sound, trouble free designs, even if the factory has forgotten we exist. But then, with the support available here who needs the factory? Check Soundings. I see several listed in the new, April edition. If need be, rent out one or both of the kids to help pay for it! Or wait for mine to come up for sale, which, according to the agreement with my wife should happen sometime after 2010. And maybe by then your kids will have developed some marketable skills!

T

TOM MANALILI

LIKE ARNOLD, "I'M BACK"

I'VE BEEN AWAY FOR A WHILE, BUT IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK,FOR JOHN, IF YOU HAVE A27FOOTER, I WOULDN'T WASTE MY TIME CHECKING OUT A 30 FOOTER, THE CHERIBINI 33 IS A GREAT BOAT, BUT SO IS THE 27, FOR THOSE TUPPERWARE LOVERS, LIKE STEVE, THERE'S NOTHING TO SAY BUT"ENJOY", YES JOHN, YOU TOO CAN BE RHE PROUD OWNER OF A FLAOTING CONDO, IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT, IT'S YOUR MONEY YOU EARNED IT, IF YOU WANT MORE ROOM, ADD AN EXTENSION ON THE HOUSE, THERE'S A LOT COMPROMISE IN SAILBOATS, AND HUNTER HAS GONE A LONG WAY TO PLEASE THE LADIES, BUT LOST SOMETHING ALONG THE WAY.

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Sheesh.

I don't know WHERE Steve was on this issue! [laugh] However I shall be happy to BORROW anyone's Cherubini Hunter 30 and race him in his Cort Steck 31 whenever he feels the time is right... especially if there is any weather to separate the designers from the doodlers.... Sorry. [laugh] I think the issue here is whether you want stand-up showers or sailing characteristics. For crying out loud! –it's a 27-ft boat! Does it have to be a motor home? Remember also that in 1974 the H-27 was groundbreaking– an inboard diesel and wheel steering in a boat of that size that STILL sells for under eight grand sometimes. I mean, sheesh! One of the great mistakes I think Hunter made in about 1981 was that they started listening more to dealers than to sailors. The marketing departments began recognising that the dealers, not the sailors, were their 'real' customers, and the dealers' input ASSUMED what people wanted or perhaps TOLD them what they wanted, but never particularly asked anyone who really sailed a boat. This is the bad side to supply and demand, which you see now in everything, especially in cars and houses– ultimately it results in the marketers declaring to those who pay their salaries that 'the only thing that sells is what we make.' But notice that that's by default! There IS nothing else available! So can you blame people who want a little more than what's new to look to the older stuff? Let's face it– to most a boat like a Cherubini Hunter (or even a C-44) built today is viewed as a dinosaur– no, it doesn't have AC, doesn't have a Jacuzzi, doesn't have three double berths for charter, etc etc. What people forget is that my dad drew SAILBOATS, not floating condos. Comparing an H-31 to an H-30 or the poor H-27 is apples and oranges, people. Please accept that. In other words, to each his own. J Cherubini II Cherubini Art & Nautical Design Org. JComet@aol.com

J

John J. Brady

I did not say I want a condo!

Everyone seems a little testy about my question. It was not meant to be as broad a question as I reads. I am not looking for a condo or flawing the design of My 27 in any way. If I were looking for just a shower I would be looking at a (tupperware) 28.5 or such. I am specifficially looking to stay in the Cherubini market. The Shoal draft is imperative and I only wanted an opinion of the economical sense of either going in the low 30'ers or update the 27 in some way. Believe me if I could I would get a condo.............send the wife there and sail the H27 with the kids in the other direction every weekend. Just kidding, the wife is really great, she is just pushing a little to hard about the shower thing with the kids. We usually spend a week at a time at the marina without hot showers and its just become a sticking point with her when my son got pnemonia last year.

T

TOM MANALILI

THANK YOU JOHN CHERUBINI

YOUR WORDS ARE STRAIGHT, TRUE FORTH RIGHT AND REFRESHING, THESE WIMPS DON'T WANT A SAILBOAT, SO LET THEM HAVE THEIR NEW TUPPERWARE BIG ASS HIGH FREEBOARD CONDO'S, TO ME THE LITTLE 27, CHERUBINI HUNTER, HAS PROFOUNDLY MORE POTENTIAL, OFFERS MORE SAILBOAT THAN ANY DAMN PRODUCTION BOAT IN IT'S SIZE REGARDLESS OF COST, WHICH I HAVE RESPECTED AND ENJOYED THESE PAST 15 YEARS, THE FEW THINGS YOUR FATHER DIDN'T ADD, I DID, FWD DORADES, BRIDGEDECK AND SILL, NOW ON THE 33, THE ONE YOUR FATHER DESIGNED FOR YOUR UNCLE, WELL TO SOME IT'S TOO NARROW, FOR SOME, NO KING SIZE BUNK BELOW, IT WAS ONLY RATED AS ONE OF THE BEST DESIGNS,

T

TOM MANALILI

HEY BRADY, THIS ONE IS FOR YOU

AREN'T YOU THE GUY WHO WANTED DETAILS ON MY PARTIAL HARD DODGER, WHICH I SENT YOU, IT COST ME MONEY TO COPY IT, MAIL IT, AND GIVE YOU PHOTO'S, YET, I NEVER HEARD THE WORD "THANKS" SELL YOU 27 FOOT CHERUBINI HUNTER, DORK, YOU DON'T DESERVE IT, BUY YOURSELF A BIG TUPPERWARE BOAT.

D

David Foster

Sounds like you should look for a 30 or 33

We love our h27, but I remember how growing kids made everything shrink. And a shower is a _requirement_ for my Admiral. We take care of the shower with the marinas we tie up at around Lake Erie, and a sun shower when that doesn't work. I'd recommend a sun shower or other arrangement in the cockpit until you find the bigger Cherubini with a shower that is where you will end up as your family grows. Then you can stretch out the search until you find the right boat, and show the wife and kids you are working to meet their needs. Good Luck, David

Status
Not open for further replies.