Should I get an Autopilot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aldo

I've been thinking of getting an autopilot for years. Is it worth $400? We do cruise our Catalina 22, sometimes 35 miles at a stretch, and I usually am at the tiller while everyone else falls asleep. Sometimes we do this using the motor which really becomes monotonous. Are there any particular models or manufactures of autopilots, or features that you recommend? Thanks, Aldo

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Yes!

I'm not familiar with the hlem-mounted, belt-driven AP's, which is what you'd want, but in general, they're the best investment you can make! I wish I' added one years sooner. It gives you the freedom to easily singlehand the boat, cruise long stretches with much less fatigue, grab a sandwich, use the head, tie your kid's shoe, etc etc etc. I'm sure otehrs here will know the best brand and installation technqiue, but in general terms, go for it!

S

SEAN

AUTO PiILOT

Definitely get one. It's more than worth the money. It's like having another crew member that knows what it's doing, but won't drink your beer. I presume you have a tiller. I would highly recommend Autohelm. The installation is very easy. It' very important that you make perfect electrical conections as the unit is highly sensitive. Go for it!

B

Bruce Harkness

Absolutely

I single hand a lot, don't know what I did w/o one. Autohelm is what I have and am very satisfied. It frees me up to clean up on the way back from anchorages, rather than have to do it at the dock.

D

Dick of the Sylvan

Tiller Control

Aldo, the autopilot is probably the way to go for you, what with the longer cruises available in your area. However, others of us on smaller waters are probably just about as well off with a simple mechanical Tiller Tamer such as available thru Catalina Direct. They are inexpensive and don't require any electricity. Except when there is a major sudden wind change, mine gives me time to change the jib sail when single-handed.

J

Joe Ford

Go for It

I have your basic autohelm on my C27. I single-hand a lot and I really love it, but it's a nice thing to have with crew also especially at lunch time. It will surprise you as to how well it steers, even down wind. Get the one with the tacking button feature. I haven't heard much about the apparent wind attachment. I have never hooked it to the GPS. Final answer is: Yes, well worth the money.

B

bill northington

yes!!!

i have an autohelm 800. my only regret is that i waited so long to purchase one. i spend so much more time sailing because i can leave the dock as soon as i get on board. the autohelm steers while i get the sails up. once the sails are up ,i can trim every sail control while the autohelm maintains the course i have set. unlike live crew members, the autohelm will steer where i tell it to and does not respond negatively to bad language

Status
Not open for further replies.